Matt Mitchell and Jordan Schakel signed as undrafted free agents

Derrick Tuskan/San Diego State
Matt Mitchell (left) and Jordan Schakel (right) celebrate after a 62-58 win over Boise State.

The NBA Draft came and went on July 29. Over the course of two rounds, sixty players heard their names called by various teams.

Of those sixty players, San Diego State graduates Matt Mitchell and Jordan Schakel were two who did not hear their names called by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.

However, it didn’t take long for the former Aztecs to find work. Both signed contracts to play in the upcoming NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Mitchell will suit up for the San Antonio Spurs while Schakel is set to join the Golden State Warriors.

This is the first time since 2019 that an Aztec hasn’t been selected in the NBA draft. In 2019, Jalen McDaniels got the call from the Charlotte Hornets in the second round while Malachi Flynn was selected 29th overall by the Toronto Raptors in 2020.

Had both Mitchell and Schakel been drafted, however, it would’ve been the fifth time that multiple Aztecs were selected in the same draft. Such a feat hasn’t been accomplished since 1986, when Anthony Watson and Steffon Johnson were selected by the Denver Nuggets and Los Angeles Clippers, respectively. 

There is no guarantee the two will remain with their new teams. In the NBA Summer League, players make their cases to sign a two-way contract with the parent club. Such a deal would allow them to play between the NBA and the team’s G-League affiliate.

Mitchell, the Mountain West Player of the Year, will be looking to travel a similar career path to Aztec alumnus Kawhi Leonard, who got his start with the Spurs. Mitchell spent much of the summer recovering from an ankle sprain but still attended workouts with various NBA teams, including the Phoenix Suns and Philadelphia 76ers. 

Schakel is familiar with Golden State. Of the 15 individual workouts he attended prior to the draft, the Warriors were the first team on the agenda. 

The Summer League begins on Aug. 8 and concludes on Aug. 17, giving Mitchell and Schakel nine days to impress their clubs to earn a contract and cement a path to the NBA.

Jason Freund
Jason Freund, Sports Editor
Jason Freund is a journalism major from Santee, Calif. He hopes to become a sports journalist for a Major League Baseball team or a reporter for another major sport. In his free time, Jason enjoys listening to music, going to the gym and watching baseball. Jason began writing for The Daily Aztec in October 2019 and also writes for the East Village Times. You can follow him on Twitter @jasonfreund_.