Aztecs Bullied in the Fifth Set by the Bulldogs, Fall to Fresno State 3-2

Tania Gallardo Avalos
Freshman Jordyn Goldsmith (6) makes a play on the ball against Air Force.

San Diego State volleyball found itself in yet another five-set match, however, the Fresno State Bulldogs narrowly escaped and handed the Aztecs a 3-2 loss (16-25, 25-17, 24-26, 25-22, 8-15) Saturday night at the Save Mart Center in Fresno. 

It was SDSU’s sixth five-set match and second in a row following Monday’s comeback win against UNLV, however, the Aztecs were handed the loss and a season sweep at the hands of the Bulldogs. 

Despite the loss, the Aztecs played well as senior outside hitter Victoria O’Sullivan smashed a match-high 23 kills as the team collected a season-high 10 service aces.

Even with the strong play from the Aztecs, the Bulldogs were too much as they gained a kill advantage of 60-58 and a team block advantage of 11 to 6. Fresno State also committed seven fewer attack errors (26-19) and outhit the Aztecs .281 to .216. 

Aztec senior outside hitter Zoi Faki also made her presence known as she finished with her third double-double of the year as she collected 10 kills and 12 digs. 

It was a back and forth match as the Bulldogs won sets one and three while the Aztecs won both sets two and four.

The Aztecs had a stunning 7-1 spurt late in the fourth set while down 21-18 to send the match to the fifth, but the Bulldogs pulled away with a 15-8 set five victory in which they recorded only one error and eight putaways with a .583 hitting percentage to win the match. 

SDSU will look to rebound next Thursday in Colorado Springs as they take on Air Force at 5 p.m. 

Justin Cox
Justin Cox, '22-23 Sports Editor
Justin Cox (he/him) is a senior journalism major from Sonoma, California. He is excited to be a Co-Sports Editor of The Daily Aztec for the 2022-23 academic year. Previously, Cox was a sports section staff writer covering a multitude of Aztec sports including basketball, water polo, soccer and tennis. He is excited to head the sports section alongside Co-Editor Morgan Prickett with the hopes of providing fresh and engaging content for the student body. Before coming to The Daily Aztec, Cox spent time as an intern for the Sonoma Index-Tribune covering local news and was also published in the Sonoma Sun newspaper. Cox can often be found watching sports, running or going to the beach in his free time.