Aztecs Women’s Tennis wipe the floor at San Diego Veterans Tennis Classic as Senior Regina Pitts wins Tournament MVP

Tania Gallardo Avalos
Senior Regina Pitts returns a volley during the San Diego Veterans Tennis Classic.

From Nov. 5 through Nov. 7, four Aztecs competed at the University of San Diego for the inaugural San Diego Veterans Tennis Classic.

In addition to San Diego State, Navy, USD, San Diego Christian, and UC San Diego participated in the three-day event.

All five teams also participated in community service events throughout the weekend. On Friday, the teams worked with children from the Linda Vista Community Tennis Center and on Saturday the teams met with Wounded Warriors.

On the first day of action, the four Aztecs – senior Regina Pitts, senior Agustina Rimoldi Godoy, junior Cécile Morin, and sophomore Alexandria Von Tersch Pohrer – combined to post a perfect 8-0 record. 

The duo of Pitts and Morin won their two matches against UC San Diego and San Diego whilst the duo of Rimoldi Goody and Von Tersch Pohrer would go on to replicate their teammates’ wins. 

In singles play, all four Aztecs recorded a win each playing against Navy.

Throughout the length of the event, the Aztecs wiped the floor with their competition in singles play as they recorded a perfect 12-0 record.

But, after posting a perfect 4-0 doubles record on the first day of action, the Aztecs would end the event with a 4-2 doubles record. 

At the end of a delightful run of matches for the Aztecs, Pitts provided the cherry on top as she was presented with the honor of the tournament’s most valuable player.

The Aztecs will look to maintain their strong form as they end their fall season with the San Diego State Fall Classic II that runs from Friday, Nov. 12  through Sunday, Nov. 14 at the Aztec Tennis Center.

Morgan Prickett, '22-23 Sports Editor
Morgan Prickett (he/him/his) is a journalism major heading into his senior year. He was born in Libreville, Gabon and has lived in multiple countries before arriving here at SDSU. He is a soccer writer for the local news site East Village Times, the president of the National Association of Black Journalists chapter at SDSU, and also serves as the VP of External Relations on SDSU’s School of Professional Studies and Fine Arts College Council. If he’s not watching or playing sports, he’s most likely jamming out to music while preparing a home cooked meal in his kitchen. This year he is looking forward to bringing coverage to all sports at SDSU in the most entertaining way possible.