SDSU goes undefeated in opening weekend

Senior Kyley Sexton was named to the All-Tournament team and led the Aztecs to a 3-0 record. | antonio zaragoza, photo editor

Last Friday kicked off the start of the 2011 season for Aztec Volleyball in the annual Aztec Invitational. Held in San Diego State’s very own Peterson Gym, UC Irvine was the Aztecs’ first opponent. Although Irvine seemed to trail close behind SDSU during the first set, it was difficult for them to keep the game close throughout the match. The Aztecs started with great momentum, easily winning the first set 25-19. Powerful spikes by junior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch were made throughout the game, making it difficult for Irvine to respond. This resulted in SDSU winning three of four sets and starting the season undefeated. Head coach Deitre Collins-Parker was happy with her team’s first win of the season.

“It’s great that we won today considering we’ve lost to Irvine a few times in the past,” Collins-Parker said. “I really feel there has been a lot of improvements in our team’s format.”

The following day, the Aztecs took on Portland, which was a nail-biter. During the fourth set SDSU was down two sets to one, trailing behind 17-13. It was clear how badly the Aztecs wanted this game, scoring the next five out of six points. Sophomore outside hitter Summer Nash proceeded to put the fourth match away with back-to-back kills for the set win. SDSU was unstoppable at this point, taking the fifth set to win the game.

Hours later, the Aztecs were up against Nevada. The girls made this look easy, considering they won the game in three sets. The teamwork among the girls during each set was exceptional, without a doubt demonstrating what can be expect ed to be seen throughout the entire season. Hannasch was outstanding against Nevada, with 12 kills in the third match to consistently keep the Aztecs in the lead. Other standouts in this game include Nash, sophomore outside hitter Raegan Shelton, senior outside hitter Kyley Sexton, and junior libero Kristi Jackels, each individually contributing to the Nevada defeat with kills, digs and blocks. Sexton and Hannasch were named to the All-Tournament team, with Hannasch being chosen as the tournament’s MVP.

Starting the season undefeated and winning an entire tournament is impressive to say the least, even though this isn’t SDSU’s first time doing so. This is the second consecutive year the Aztecs have gone 3-0 at the Aztec Invitational.

SDSU goes undefeated in opening weekend