Presidents speak at convocations

antonio zaragoza, photo editor
antonio zaragoza, photo editor

Last Saturday, San Diego State University President Elliot Hirshman, Associated Students President Cody Barbo and other prominent faculty spoke to a crowd estimated at more than 6,000 people at Viejas Arena.

According to Barbo, the convocation is an address by university officials given at the beginning of each semester, and this year’s could be described as “the kickoff event to your Aztec career.”

This event built upon last Thursday’s event, where Hirshman’s speech addressed the accomplishments SDSU continues to achieve in research and the community, despite difficult circumstances caused in part by the budget crisis. Although overshadowed by some doubt, Hirshman did emphasize the groundwork that foreshadows future success.

“As we begin a new year, no one can predict the short-term fluctuations of markets or the economy,” he said on Thursday. “What I can say with complete certainty is that the work we will do together this year will help us accomplish our mission of education, research and service and will lay the foundation for our long-term success.”

On the other hand, at the New Student and Family Convocation, Barbo focused more on the students directly, and challenged students to take a more prominent role in the shaping of the university.

“If you graduate with just a degree, you didn’t take advantage of all the opportunity this university has to offer,” Barbo said.

He also said Saturday’s event was streamed live to approximately 1,000 viewers.

Presidents speak at convocations