Private interests define future space travel

airplanesThe great Space Race of the 20th century resulted in the launch of the first satellites into Earth’s orbit, sending astronauts to the moon, launching shuttle flights and creating the International Space Station. Now the race continues, but without NASA’s central figure in the operation of manned voyages into space.

Marc Kaufman of The Washington Post reported NASA’s budget took a $1.8 billion cut in its space operations sector, resulting in the termination of the space shuttle program and curtailing the future of NASA’s manned space program. Despite this monetary setback, NASA still remains viable with a strategic budget plan and goals for next year.

According to its website, NASA looks to “reach for new heights” and will focus on other projects that will “benefit all humankind.” It has chosen to focus its attention toward further steps in unmanned space exploration, which included the Aug. 5 launch of the Juno Spacecraft, leaving the development of manned spaceflight to private companies.

This shift begs the question: Which company will not only develop a promising method for leisurely space travel, but will also be successful completing the challenge? Several aerospace companies are jumping at this opportunity, but only a select few have made headlines with their advancements in space tourism throughout the past seven years.

In 2004, Mojave Aerospace Ventures funded and launched the first private successful single-person spacecraft, SpaceShipOne, motivating other companies to partake in this venture. MAV has since partnered with Virgin Galactic, which launched its own spacecraft on Oct. 22 of last year. Astrium, a leading European space company and subsidiary of European Aeronautic Defense and Space Company, revealed a full-scale model of a space jet in 2007 inspired by MAV’s prototype. However, the company has not made any recent advances because of the $1.34 billion price tag attached to the making of such a prototype.

There are also safety and legal issues that need to be addressed and resolved. Space-based research and advancements do not come without the potential for dangerous situations. Because space is an unclaimed open market, developers must proceed with caution.

The Secure World Foundation, “promotes cooperative solutions for space sustainability.” SWO stresses the importance of having all space-related inquiries and explorations “rest on sound policies and clearly formulated international agreements” such as the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which not only provides for a peaceful exchange but also provides national security.

Other issues that may arise include customer service conflicts, mechanical problems and potential for aviation failure. According to Michael Mendelson, a space law expert in Washington D.C., this endeavor is risky. He expects a “catastrophic accident” to occur before all flaws are completely worked out.

“When something happens – and unfortunately, tragically something will happen – that’s when the system is going to shake out,” Mendelson said.

Space travel will not be available to the general public for at least a few decades. However, those who find the concept of spaceflight to be exhilarating and are willing to sign a liability waiver better start saving now. The opportunity will cost passengers anywhere from $215,000 to $290,000. In this economy, that may just take a lifetime.