News to know from around the world

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

International
In the throes of a budget crisis, the government in Italy has sought austerity measures as a solution, much to the dismay of many residents in the country. Air traffic and public transportation in Italy grinded to a halt yesterday as thousands protested the government’s plans to increase sales tax and a proposed “solidarity tax” of 3 percent on those earning more than 500,000 euros per year.

National
According to a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll, President Barack Obama has seen his ratings drop to record lows within his presidency. More than 60 percent of those surveyed disagreed with the manner in which the president is dealing with the economy; perhaps the most contentious and important issue currently on the minds of Americans. Only 43 percent of people surveyed approved of the job he was doing, with 53 percent disapproving. Among Republican candidates running for the presidency, Gov. Rick Perry has a commanding lead with 38 percent of GOP voters backing him.

Local

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

It seems as if the decade-long debate of whether or not to relocate the Chargers to Los Angeles has yet to conclude. There are no current plans to renovate Qualcomm Stadium and proposals to build a new stadium akin to the Padres’ Petco Park seem unlikely at best. San Diego has found itself less of a welcoming home than at the beginning of the debate; millions of dollars given to the Chargers from city funds have soured many local taxpayers and, some say, contributed to San Diego’s ailing budgetary crisis.

– Compiled by Chris Pocock, Opinion Editor

News to know from around the world