Downtown’s theaters are a holiday hot spot

By Emma Secker, Staff Writer

San Diego isn’t typically associated with the stage, but some may be surprised to learn downtown San Diego has a thriving theater scene. As the weather cools and outdoor activities wane, San Diegans head inside to pass their time. Those looking for a taste of Broadway close to home can enjoy some of the productions in downtown’s many theaters this holiday season.

The Old Globe Theatre — Balboa Park

Located in downtown’s beautiful and historic Balboa Park, The Old Globe Theatre is a 580-seat venue modeled after Shakespeare’s Old Globe Theatre in London. Its year-round season produces 15 plays and musicals, several of which are running this holiday season. Dr. Seuss’ “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” will be on stage until Dec. 26, with ticket prices ranging from $25 to $60 depending on showtimes and seat locations. Fortunately for students who will be splurging their meager holiday funds on family and friends, The Old Globe has a “$20 under 30” deal that enables those younger than 30 years of age to attend a wide range of performances for only $20. For those interested, ticket information and directions can be found on The Old Globe Theatre’s website theoldglobe.org.

San Diego Civic Theatre — 1100 Third Ave.

Downtown’s Civic Theatre has many noteworthy performances that will soon take the stage. From Dec. 18 to 21, students can unwind from finals and revive their holiday spirits by attending California Ballet’s annual production of “The Nutcracker.” Showtimes vary and prices range from $25 to $80. After the holiday fervor has quieted, the San Diego Civic Theatre will ring in the new year with Broadway San Diego’s renowned production of “West Side Story” showing Jan. 4 through 9.

Tickets can be purchased online, at the box office window or through the phone by contacting 619-570-1100. Students can keep their eyes out for future performances and find out more information about these plays and others by visiting sandiegotheatres.org

Balboa Theatre — 868 Fourth Ave.

Along with Downtown’s Civic Theatre, Fourth Avenue’s Balboa Theatre is owned by the nonprofit, public- benefit corporation, San Diego Theatres.

“The strategy of San Diego Theatres is to position itself for growth and future independence as a fully independent, stand-alone entity,” according to the San Diego Theatres’ website. “The San Diego region will be enriched through our advancement of a vibrant downtown theater district.”

How will the Balboa Theatre enrich the downtown experience this winter? From Dec. 17 to 23, the theater will put on the 18th annual production of a holiday favorite, “Traditions of Christmas.”

“You will be enchanted by customs from around the world,” the San Diego Theatre’s website claims. “All your favorite Christmas stories come to life on stage and you’ll sing along with your favorite holiday songs.”

For any Scrooges who may be less-than-merry at the prospect of another Christmas production, this theater has many other performances to look forward to this winter. C.S. Lewis’ “The Screwtape Letters” will be performed Jan. 29 at both 4 and 8 p.m., offering entertainment for audiences that are hungover from holiday cheer and need a breath of fresh wickedness.

Don’t want to miss this play? Students can find ticket information for this production and many others on the San Diego Theatre’s website.

Horton Grand Theatre

Another downtown theater containing only 250 seats is the Horton Grand Theatre. The San Diego Union-Tribune declares the theater’s play “miXtape” to be a “Critic’s Choice” performance. “MiXtape” features ‘80s hits from artists such as Madonna, Sting, Michael Jackson and many others. This play is currently running through Dec. 19. Tickets, parking tips and directions can be found online at lambsplayers.org.