SDSU, Steres dominate Houston Baptist

Peter Kluch, staff photographer
Peter Kluch, staff photographer

Dating back to last season, the San Diego State football team has won five consecutive games. Yet, while the football team receives the adoration of the SDSU community, there is another team on campus that is enjoying a great season and a fine winning streak of its own.

The Aztecs men’s soccer team defeated Houston Baptist University (0-6-1) on Sunday, 4-1, to improve to an overall record of 5-1-1 and continue its winning streak of  four games.
SDSU, fresh off its thrilling overtime win against Oral Roberts last weekend, was led by senior co-captain Daniel Steres, who scored two goals and assisted on another.
Named Man of the Match for his efforts, Steres finished the weekend with three goals and an assist, all while anchoring the Aztecs defense.

“I had my fair share of chances in the first five games, but they just weren’t falling,” Steres said. “I guess this weekend I just got (the shots) in better spots and made my chances count.”

Steres’ first goal came in the 11th minute from a corner kick by junior midfielder Jose Altamirano. In the 71st minute, Steres scored his second goal of the match by putting the ball by the Huskies’ goalkeeper Daniel Boyer. Junior Ata Ozbay and redshirt sophomore Jordan Ongaro also added goals for SDSU.
The Aztecs outshot the Huskies 16-5, including 12-2 on net. SDSU, which has scored 12 goals and only allowed two during the winning streak, has now won 14 consecutive matches when leading at halftime.

“We have been playing well,” Steres said. “We are really focusing on the defensive side and being the hardest fighting team.”
Redshirt sophomore Blake Hylen recorded the win by making two saves, playing 76 minutes before giving goalkeeper duties to redshirt freshman Tim Peitsch, who did not record a save.

The Aztecs will attempt to keep their winning streak alive at home when they battle Central Arkansas at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Following the game, a free youth clinic will be offered to all male soccer players ages 8 to 17 who wear their jersey.

SDSU, Steres dominate Houston Baptist