NEIGHBORHOODS: Downtown district hosts this season’s holiday spirit

The ice rink, in operation from Nov. 18 through Jan. 9, is located on Broadway Circle in Horton Plaza. Copyright Antonio Zaragoza / Staff Photographer

From ice-skating to Christmas tree lighting, find out where to get jolly

By Miranda Adler, Staff Writer

With finals looming and the rush to find the perfect gifts for family and friends, it’s easy to forget about the holiday spirit. Coupled with the frigid, 50-degree lows in San Diego, some students prefer early hibernation instead of going out on the town and seeing what the city has to offer this time of the year. Downtown is teeming with fun, inexpensive ways to celebrate the season and can provide a much-needed respite from studying.

Ice ice baby

From Nov. 18 to Jan. 9, novice and experts alike can enjoy the thrill of ice-skating on the outdoor rink at Horton Square. At only $14 per session including skate rentals, it’s perfect for a holiday date spot or family outing. According to Horton Square’s website, sdice.com/horton, all proceeds go to Rady Children’s Hospital.

A winter romance

Hey ladies, still looking for that special someone to share the season with? From 7 to 11 p.m. tonight, The W Hotel is hosting the Jingle Bell Bachelor Bash. Admission is $15 and participants will have the chance to bid on San Diego’s “most eligible bachelors.” A dinner with members of the Del Mar Fire Department is also up for grabs for those looking to get into the holiday mood. Visit discoversd.com/events/details/jingle-bell-bachelor-bash/4877.html for more information.

Light it up

Looking for free food, friendly patrons and festive fun? Little Italy is hosting its 11th Annual Tree Lighting and Christmas Village celebration on Dec. 4 at the Piazza Natale. From 4 to 7:30 p.m., a tree-lighting extravaganza will commence, along with a visit from Santa Claus accompanied by musical entertainment. The Little Italy Association will be giving out free coffee, cider and Italian cookies.

Take a break from studying and enjoy downtown’s seasonal celebrations before it’s too late.