Aztecs improve to 7-4 with win against Riverside

This past weekend was an exciting one for the San Diego State Volleyball team.

Last Tuesday, the ladies hosted the Cal State Fullerton Titans in SDSU’s Peterson Gym. Things started out a little rocky for SDSU, losing the first set 20-25.

The Aztecs, however, bounced back and came out on top defeating the Titans 25-14 in the second set, 25-19 in the third set, and putting the game away 15-8 in the fifth set.

Sophomore outside hitter Summer Nash reached a new career high with 13 digs and 10 kills.

On Friday, SDSU made a trip to Las Vegas to open its 2011 Mountain West season against the UNLV Rebels. Unfortunately, the Aztecs struggled to find the same intensity they had against Fullerton a few days prior, and lost to UNLV in three sets.

Shaking off the loss, SDSU traveled to Riverside two days later to take on UC Riverside. It was apparent the girls had put their previous loss behind them and were ready to play on Sunday. The first set was extremely close, consequently causing the set to go into extra points. With several kills from sophomore outside hitter Raegan Shelton, the Aztecs were able to crank out a win in the first set, 28-26. The second set was just as close as the previous one, also going into extra points. The Highlanders came out on top during the set 27-25, tying the game 1-1.

Although Riverside remained consistent during the third and fourth sets, it fell short, and the Aztecs took home another victory, improving their overall record to 7-4. SDSU had a total of 51 assists during the game, with sophomore setter Johnna Fouch impressively carrying 47 of them. Junior libero Kristi Jackels led the team with 18 digs, while sophomore middle blocker Emily Harris led in kills, ending the game with 15.

The next match will be against Mountain West Conference foe Wyoming at 7 p.m. on Thursday in Peterson Gym.