The finalists have been chosen: Homecoming 2011

homecoming court

The San Diego State Homecoming Court 2011 consists of 14 students who collectively represent the entire student body. Student organizations across campus nominated students they felt were impressive leaders who embodied a commitment to academic success, had outstanding involvement on campus and contributed to the SDSU community.

After campus organizations made their nominations, there were 41 nominees who began the interview process. The pool had not been so large since 2001, so the decision-making process was even more difficult for the selection committee because each student portrayed extreme talents and abilities.

All 41 students submitted an application and went to a group interview that consisted of interactive activities, allowing each candidate the chance to shine brighter than his or her paper application.

The selection committee, comprised of SDSU faculty and staff, narrowed the diverse group of individuals to 14 homecoming court nominees. Each candidate participated in a variety of Homecoming Week activities, such as a talent show, campus parade and pep rally.

“It has been an honor to represent SDSU over the last year and show students and the surrounding community how much it has to offer,” 2010 Homecoming Queen Sadie Eisley said.

Homecoming king and queen have not only the honor of being crowned, but also conduct service projects during the spring semester that include the SDSU community.

Last year, the service project the homecoming king and queen participated in was the “Deaf and Foster Youth Education and leadership Initiative.” Local students who are deaf or are in foster care were invited to tour SDSU and were exposed to the various opportunities college has to offer. The service project is completely up to the homecoming winners to decide what will better the SDSU community.

This year’s homecoming football game is on Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium against TCU. Students are encouraged to show their Aztec pride during the game and attend the crowning ceremony at halftime.