Bloc Party hiatus to spark restructuring

Compared to the band’s first two masterpieces, London-based indie rock sensation Bloc Party’s 2008 release “Intimacy” was a disaster. It has been almost four years since the band released a record. Based on the latest news, it doesn’t look like there will be a new one any time soon.

Front man Kele Okereke is embarking on his second album of his solo career, which has occupied his time during the band’s hiatus. Lead guitarist Russell Lissack has been working with alternative rock band, Ash. Now that Lissack is finished working with Ash, he is ready to continue with Bloc Party. Okereke, however, is not on the same page.

A few weeks ago Okereke was shocked when he spotted his fellow bandmates walking into a studio in New York City. He shared with NME Magazine: “I was actually having lunch about three weeks ago, just here on 8th Avenue and I saw somebody walk past and I recognized the haircut. It was (guitarist Lissack). I was like, ‘Hey!’ but he didn’t see me and I followed him around the corner and then I saw (drummer Matt Tong), (bassist Gordon Moakes) and Russell all standing outside this rehearsal space. They all went inside … I hope I haven’t been fired. I don’t really know what’s going on, because we haven’t really spoken recently and I’m a bit too scared to ask.”

Following Okereke’s statement last week, Lissack told the press: “It’s not really a secret because Kele’s been pretty busy doing solo stuff and it looks like he’s going to be doing that a bit longer. The other three of us wanted to meet up and make music. We were talking about just doing an instrumental thing, but now we might get a singer as well, to properly put some music out and play some shows.”

There does not seem to be any animosity between the band members, just different motives and ambitions. Either way it will be interesting to see what Bloc Party has to offer in the future.