Staying single can be a choice

single woman

Sweatpants. I wear them a lot and nobody cares — especially not my cat.

Freedom. To go where I want, when I want, with whom I want, without anybody else’s input or opinion to consider or schedule to clear.

I’m thinner when I’m single. Apparently I attract a lot of cute guys with the ability to cook well — how can anyone resist a fourth helping of pasta?

Speaking of eating in the metaphoric sense, I like having my cake and eating it too. There’s no shortage of men. They make very nice company sometimes. But I like being able to leave them right there on the bookshelf between my two bottles of vodka as bookends. When I’m ready to read “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” – voila!

I’m healthier when I’m single. I’m a runner and a hiker so if you can’t keep up with me, you’re a bum(mer).

I get to watch all the chick flicks I want without ever having to reciprocate by watching some crap like “Big Guns” and “Wheels Take Manhattan.”

I get to flirt voraciously without an ounce of guilt.

There’s an economic advantage to be being a single woman who cautiously dates. Lots of first dates when men just cannot bring themselves to let a woman pay the dinner bill, even when she offers. God bless benevolent sexism. Suckers!

Bar version piggyback on the above: Sure you can buy me a drink.

I don’t have to pretend to like the Red Sox or pretend to understand why men spend their hard-earned money on things such as the MLB Extra Innings digital sports package.

Shoes. I love them and I don’t have to explain it to anyone.

Ultimately, I know I don’t have the time to devote to a relationship right now, so being single suits me for the time being. There will be plenty of time in the future to stare blankly at my snoring partner as he sleeps, wondering why I chose to not be single.

— Sandy Coronilla is a journalism junior.

Staying single can be a choice