LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-semitic slurs on campus

by Staff

There should be no tolerance for hateful vandalism targeting Jews here at SDSU

To the Editor,

During the week of Nov. 15, vandals defaced a student-made poster promoting a talk by Itamar Marcus, founder of Palestinian Media Watch. Anti-Israel and anti-semitic slogans were painted on the banner, as was a graphic equating the Star of David with a swastika.

The likelihood of finding the actual culprits may be low, but those responsible for creating the atmosphere that made this cowardly act acceptable are easy to identify: They are all those — students, faculty, staff and community members — who every day delegitimize the State of Israel and refuse to recognize the right of the Jewish people to an independent, secure homeland.

The pro-Israel, pro-peace student activists at SDSU, led by Aztecs for Israel, consistently plan and host events that promote dialogue, present often little-known information about cooperation in the region, and otherwise promote respectful, open communication.

There should be no tolerance on this campus for hatred of any kind; this act allows hatred to flourish and it should be condemned in no uncertain terms.

It would be nice to hear voices from all sides calling out the perpetrators of this crime for what they are: cowards and hypocrites who spend more time and energy calling for death and destruction than promoting life and liberty.

Yiftach Levy

Staff Adviser, Aztecs for Israel

Information Technology Consultant

Career Services