Crime Beat 10-26-11

Bicycle thefts continue

The number of bikes taken from campus continues to increase as several more were stolen last weekend and earlier this week. At 9 a.m. Monday morning, the San Diego State University Police Department received a call regarding a bike theft. The theft occurred at University Towers residence hall on Montezuma Road. The bicycle was a dark-blue Kent 21-speed mountain bike that was left outside by the owner throughout the weekend.

Shortly after, another bicycle was taken from Zura residence hall. The bike, a bright-red BMX with pegs, was secured with a cable lock.

On Sunday, a bike was stolen from Little Theater on Campanile Drive. The bicycle was a brown and gold 24-speed Specialized XC, and was secured with a cable lock, which was also stolen.

Yesterday, there were two burglaries in Parking Structure 1, the first of which occurred sometime between 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. When the victim returned to her car, the front passenger window was broken, and her blue duffel bag, purse and GPS were stolen. Less than an hour later, another call was made from PS 1. The break-in was reported to have occurred between 7 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. In this case, the rear passenger window was smashed and the victim’s cell phone headset was taken.

Anyone with information relating to any of these incidents is encouraged to contact the SDSUPD at 619-594-1991.

— Compiled by Staff Writer Kevin Smead

Crime Beat 10-26-11