BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK: Fans come out in full force to ?Show? support

Antonio Zaragoza / Staff Photographer

Another game, another win for San Diego State men’s basketball. Take a look at some of the news and notes from SDSU’s eighth victory of the season.

More fans, new traditions

In Viejas Arena’s history, only ten times has it ever sold out for a men’s basketball game.

Two of those times happened last week.

More than 12,000 fans packed the arena for the second consecutive game on Saturday night, and they brought some new traditions along with them. Before the games, fans have started a new chant, “I believe that we will win,” where the entire student section jumps and repeats the phrase over, and over, and over again.

In addition, the student section has started singing Muse’s “Uprising,” before games.

After Saturday’s big victory, head coach Steve Fisher explained how much the fans and their traditions mean to him and the Aztecs.

“We have a phenomenal home court led by our students,” Fisher said. “They are having a college experience that not many kids get to have. They are so important to us. Tonight, there were several thousand strong and they provided the type of environment you win with.”

High praise

Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall wasn’t bitter after his team fell by 14 points to SDSU. In fact, he was full of nothing but compliments.

“First of all, that’s a very good basketball team,” he said. “I’ve seen a lot of good basketball teams, and that’s a team that I think is going to finally win in the NCAA tournament and should win multiple games.”

He added: “When I went through the line, I mentioned to a couple of them that hopefully they will get to the tournament and win multiple games this year. That’s a Sweet 16, Elite Eight-type team if they get the right draw, get a couple of breaks and stay healthy. They’re dynamite.”

Double-double machine

Kawhi Leonard reportedly threw up at halftime on Saturday night. He also had a wrap on his elbow for most of the night to stop a bleeding wound. But neither of those things prevented him from posting his 23rd career double-double. Leonard posted 16 points, 12 rebounds, five assists and four steals in 34 minutes. It was his sixth double-double this season.

Show Mehdi the love

Mehdi Cheriet played five minutes in Saturday night’s win, but Fisher made sure the senior forward got praise for his six-point, two-rebound performance in a key stretch for the Aztecs.

“I want to make sure I give a huge compliment to Mehdi,” Fisher said. “He was ready. He came in when we were struggling: 3-for-4, two offensive rebounds, six points in five minutes in the first half. We got a good team, we can play guys and they can come in and give us a boost, and tonight Mehdi did a great job for us.”