MEN’S BASKETBALL: SDSU strikes Alaska gold

David J. Olender / Photo Editor

Entering as prohibitive favorites to win the Carrs/Safeway Great Alaska Shootout, the San Diego State men’s basketball team got a quick reality check.

Down by eight at halftime against Western Carolina in the first round Thursday, SDSU needed an intense effort and a little bit of luck just to pull out a 59-58 nail-biter against the Catamounts.

Then it got a whole lot easier.

The Aztecs rolled to big victories in the final two contests, including a 76-47 trouncing of Hampton in the championship game Saturday night to take the tournament title in Anchorage, Alaska.

“I think we recognized the fact that we were fortunate to be in the championship bracket after Western Carolina; we got lucky,” head coach Steve Fisher said to AM 600 KOGO. “We really competed the last two and a half games.”

Discounting the first twenty minutes of the Western Carolina game 8212; in which SDSU trailed 33-25 8212; the Aztecs were able to outscore their opponents 185-128 to close out the tournament, including a 75-56 win against Seattle in the semifinals Friday.

SDSU (5-1) was led by senior forward Kyle Spain, who scored at least 15 points in all three contests and concluded the trip with 17 points and eight rebounds in just 20 minutes Saturday. He finished with 54 points, 19 rebounds and made half of his field goals and 18-of-19 free throws en route to being named the tournament MVP.

Senior forward Ryan Amoroso and sophomore guard D.J. Gay joined Spain on the all-tournament team. While Amoroso played solid throughout with 23 points and 21 rebounds, Gay struggled in the early going.

Gay opened the tournament going scoreless against the Catamounts (3-2) and logged a modest nine points against the Redhawks (4-3).

However, against the Pirates (3-3) Gay was lights out. He finished with 20 points 8212; one short of his career-best 8212; and shot 6-for-8 from behind the arc, helping the Aztecs finish the tournament shooting 47 percent on 3-pointers.

“I struggled the first couple of games, but today was a brand new day and I was able to come out and perform,” Gay said to AM 600 KOGO following the championship victory.

Gay helped spark a hot start for SDSU right out of the gate. He made two 3-pointers during a 15-0 run to start the game against Hampton. Gay went on to drain his first five attempts from behind the arc and helped the Aztecs build a 37-16 halftime lead, aided by the Pirates’ 16 turnovers.

But it wasn’t just Gay or Spain who impressed Fisher. At this point in the season, the coach is pleased with his entire team.

“We’re getting better individually and collectively,” Fisher said to AM 600 KOGO. “What I saw in these three games was a team that moves the ball, shares the ball, passes the ball better than we have over an extended stretch ever.

“We’ve got a lot of growing to do and a lot of work to do, but it was fun watching them perform.”