MATT-ER OF FACT: These definitely aren?t the same old Aztecs

Despite not bringing down Mizzou?s T.J. Moe on Saturday night, SDSU football has changed for the better.

Oh, well. There went San Diego State’s chances at a national title game. That’s a joke. But it’s not funny.

The Missouri game ended with what seemed like a prank. I kept waiting for Ashton Kutcher to swing around the corner in a trucker hat and aviators and tell everyone they got “Punk’d.”

I don’t know what to say about this last game. There are no words. Just that feeling every SDSU fan felt after Blaine Gabbert threw the last-minute, 68-yard touchdown to win the game.

Head coach Brady Hoke said there was an obvious block in the back on that last play. The referee didn’t think so. Doesn’t matter. Missouri won. If you’re a player, get over it.

And get over it quick. There are fewer things more difficult in college football than staying focused after an emotional game, win or lose. Just ask Virginia Tech.

This Saturday, the Aztecs will play Utah State. The Aggies took eighth-ranked Oklahoma down to the wire in Norman, Okla., and should have beaten Fresno State last weekend if it weren’t for special teams issues. Utah State returns 16 starters from last year and its offensive line is loaded with experience. The Aggies lost their star running back Robert Turbin in February because of an ACL injury, but they have still managed to average 186.7 rushing yards per game. However, the defense has been susceptible to giving up big rushing plays, and SDSU’s Ronnie Hillman has been susceptible to making them.

Perhaps the most intriguing matchup will be defensive coordinator Rocky Long against the Aggies’ offensive coordinator Dave Baldwin. The two coached together at New Mexico, making them naturally savvy to each other’s schemes.

And the KGB SkyShow is at Qualcomm Stadium this week, and the gimmick always draws a lot of “fans” to the game. The Aztecs will probably play in front of its biggest home crowd of the year.

I guess I can understand why you Californians like fireworks so much. Where I come from, you can shoot those things in your backyard. But they’re not fun unless you’re shooting them at something or someone … such as propane tanks or the elderly. There isn’t much I wouldn’t give to watch a lisping Lou Holtz dance to the tune of my bottle rockets, Black Cats and Roman candles. And nothing gets my neck redder than things that go “boom.”

Except for that cannon at SDSU football games. Someone ought to roll that thing off the Coronado Bridge.

Anyway, through the first quarter of the season, the Aztecs have shown they can run the ball. Hillman is the sixth leading rusher in the nation. They’ve shown they can pass block. They’ve shown they can play defense. Ryan Lindley is 17th in the country in passing yardage, and field goal kicker Abel Perez has made all the field goals he’s needed to.

These are not the “same old Aztecs.”

So quit saying it.

8212;Matt McClanahan is a journalism senior.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.