Like salt & pepper, without the pepper

All photos courtesy of Scott Pastfield

Most funny people take some getting used to. At first, the “your mom” joke or the constant “that’s what she said,” are a bit much. Now they’re just part of the norm.”The Whitest Kids U’ Know” is that friend – on TV. And they may just be some of the funniest kids you know, too. The sketch comedy airs on the Independent Film Channel at 11 p.m. on Sundays. Its humor is a unique blend of “Saturday Night Live” and “MAD TV”-style sketch comedy, crossed with “South Park” shock humor. The show is the product of five friends: Trevor Moore, Sam Brown, Zach Cregger, Timmy Williams and Darren Trumeter. The idea began in a college dorm at the School of Visual Arts in New York City. A core group of original cast members started doing shows as a school club on campus, and would perform at a New York nightclub called Pianos, where they still perform regularly. The show has come a long way from its humble beginnings. A typical “Whitest Kids” show consists of a combination of live chunks and pre-recorded videos, the same format they started with. Even while performing live in Pianos, the crew has new videos ready for its set. “All sketched comedy is different; each show has different themes,” founder of the group, Trevor Moore said. “Our show definitely has a different vibe than the rest.”Indeed it does. “The Whitest Kids U’ Know” leaves no subject untouched. Nothing is sacred and IFC allows the guys to do, and say, pretty much whatever they want. For example, one of their most popular sketches is the “Hitler Rap.”In this song, a 21st century Hitler emcees about how he’s changed since World War II. Hitler discusses how he’s “now down with Jews” while he’s “repping Deutschland.””We made the ‘Hitler Rap’ because we think it’s funny how rappers are always bragging about all the bad things they used to do, and have now changed,” Moore said. They also touch on current social issues, exploiting child abuse in the song “Get A New Daddy.” Moore devotes an entire song to children finding ways to get their parents locked up. Some of Moore’s suggestions include planting naked Polaroids of children in the parent’s dresser or using a teddy bear to show your teacher where you’ve been inappropriately touched. The show aired on Fuse in 2007, but signed on with IFC for seasons two and three. With Fuse, much of the “Whitest Kids” content was strongly edited, and they often had to re-shoot certain sketches to make them appropriate for television. Within five minutes of “Whitest Kids,” it’s obvious it must have been a full-time job for the censors, and the group said they’re excited to move to a format with less restriction. The future for “The Whitest Kids U’ Know” looks promising. Trevor and Zach, two of the five members, just finished directing a movie, and they’re all hoping for a “Whitest Kids U’ Know” movie in the near future. You can check out the show on the web at www.IFC.com. If you’re shocked, give it time. These kids just might be an acquired taste.

Like salt & pepper, without the pepper