SPOTLIGHT: English professor helps wildlife, immigrants

Antonio Zaragoza / Staff Photographer

John Granger spends free time with groups such as Emergency Wildlife Rehab, No More Deaths

By Kelly Callas, Staff Writer

When he was approached about being interviewed, English professor John Granger’s response was a simple and unassuming, “Why?”

This is a legitimate question. He is not individualistic. In fact, the particularization of this piece is quite contrary to the collective approach he takes to life. In the classroom, camping out in the Arizona desert or working in a rehab center for wild animals, Granger isn’t trying to stand out. And yet, he does.

A certified wildlife tracker and animal enthusiast, Granger’s interests are not limited to the confines of classroom walls. He has a passion for the natural world that was cultivated early while growing up near a provincial river canyon in Vancouver, Canada. Like the literature he teaches, Granger takes pride in his ability to analyze tracks and identify the nuances of those left behind by animals such as mice and snakes. He regards all living things, even those commonly labeled as vermin, with palpable appreciation.

“I’m just a naturalist,” Granger said. “I love animals. I like to know what’s around me, so I like to be able to read the ground.”

On weekends, Granger works with Emergency Wildlife Rehab, a group focused on the rehabilitation of injured and orphaned wildlife. Cleaning out cages and subjecting himself to the unpredictability of the feral animals, he is not afraid to work hard and take risks for what he loves.

“I’ve been bit in the head by a bobcat,” Granger said. “That’s nice.”

As he speaks calmly with this drop of irony, it is clear Granger doesn’t take himself too seriously. This attitude is often reflected in the way he teaches: open-ended and unexpected. Lectures function as full-class discussions and animal references are always welcome.

It cannot be denied some students find this style problematic. However, those able to embrace Granger’s idiosyncrasies may find it refreshingly effective.

“I think it’s a very good thing to be relaxed at school,” Granger said. “The work is still disciplined, but why be tense or anxious over that? It should be an open, free-moving kind of thing.”

Granger’s casual perspective, however, is not to be mistaken for apathy. For the past three summers, he has contributed to the efforts of the humanitarian organization No More Deaths. Through this organization, Granger joins a diverse group of activists, nuns and philanthropic citizens with the shared interest of providing aid for Mexican immigrants as they embark on a life-threatening journey through the harsh mountains of southern Arizona. The work is grueling but rewarding for volunteers as they camp out in the desert and hike through sweltering Arizona heat to provide food, water and medical aid to struggling immigrants.

Granger is not boastful of his actions with No More Deaths or any other accomplishments.  He acts simply because he cares, and doesn’t seem to expect much in return.

Why interview Granger? Many may already know him and, for some, this may be nothing new. However, using a phrase often repeated to his students, knowing why is about learning to ask, “Why not?”