Restaurant Week has food for every taste bud

Courtesy of Restaurant Week

Holidays and special events are one of the few chances for calorie splurges, at least for one night. Of course, these calorie “cash-in” nights are expected for Valentine’s Day chocolate binges and New Year’s Eve champagne sprees, but now, there is one more exception: San Diego Restaurant Week 2009.

Putting a spin on local, seasonal ingredients, chefs participating in the event are highlighting their top-caliber autumn dishes for the first time since the premiere of the event five years ago.

During Sept. 13-18, this fall season of Restaurant Week is expected to be the most successful yet, despite the fact that autumn is typically a season when summer tourism slows down and decreases restaurants’ revenue.

“So far Restaurant Week is going great,” Lehn Goetz, president of the San Diego County Chapter of the California Restaurant Association, said. “I think people really responded well because restaurants are very busy, and we have had incredible traffic to our Web site this past month,” Goetz said.

San Diego Restaurant Week has become one the busiest and most successful events for restaurants in the city. But unlike Valentine’s Day and New Year’s Eve, restaurant week keeps participating restaurants busy for six straight nights, not just one.

Featuring more than 180 restaurants, Restaurant Week offers a three-course meal from fusion-style to All-American restaurants priced between $20-40, not including tax, gratuity and beverages. “It’s new that we’ve added the $20, $30 and $40 pre-fixed menus,” Goetz said. “There’s more choice to this year because we have 180 restaurants participating, and it’s the most we’ve ever had.” Restaurant Week has also had a 20 percent increase in restaurant participation since last year, Goetz said.

“We are also doing a “52 weeks of fine dining’ contest that we launched on our Web site, and we are giving away 52 weeks of dining if they sign up on our e-mail list,” Goetz said.

To enter for a chance to win the fine dining prize, go to www.sandiegoreasturantweek.com.

Nobu at the Hard Rock Hotel is an award-winning restaurant featured in Restaurant Week, one which is credited all around the world. It is serving special Japanese-style plates for $40, including a choice of an appetizer, main course and dessert. One of the appetizer options is the Sashimi Salad that is skillfully plated with fresh ocean trout on a bed of organic greens and seasoned with the chef’s signature Onion Soy Dressing. Following the starter, there is an option of three top-of-the-line fresh fish plates including Black Cod with Miso, Assorted Sushi and Seared Scallop with Jalapeño Salsa. And to finish, Nobu’s decadent dessert choices include raspberry chocolate chip and tiramisu-flavored Mochi Ice Cream, Milk Chocolate Mousse and Passionfruit Parfait with sweet macadamia nuts and caramel-leche cream.

In the future, San Diego Restaurant Week may have some more changes. “Next Restaurant Week, we want to make it more of a communal event, and we may want to make it for all ages and all price points,” Goetz said.

Other restaurants involved with San Diego Restaurant Week are NINE-TEN and George’s at the Cove in La Jolla, Firehouse and Thee Bungalow in the beaches area and Cucina Urbana and Indigo Grill in downtown San Diego. “There are so many good choices; I suggest people try one restaurant in the $20 range, one in a $30 range and one in the $40 range,” Goetz said. ” I would look on the Web site and check out the menus because there are so many different ones … also, many are offering vegetarian options as well,” Goetz said. Goetz is also the owner of Café Coyote, and plans to make changes to what she offers during Restaurant Week.

“A lot of restaurants offer wine parings with the three-course meals. In January, I’m going to offer a tequila pairing with the three courses at my restaurant.”

While reservations are not required to participate in the event, it is recommended to make a reservation in advance. For more information on participating restaurants and reservations visit www.sandiegoreasturantweek.com.