Africa tent raises AIDS awareness

Courtesy of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship

More than 42 million people worldwide are living with HIV or AIDS.

Nearly three-fourths of the people – about 74 percent – are living in sub-Saharan Africa.

On Tuesday, students at San Diego State will raise awareness of this problem by hosting a 60-by-20 tent called The Impact 1 Tent.

The tent will be located on Campanile Walkway and is a free opportunity for students to educate themselves about the AIDS pandemic in Africa.

Attendees will be exposed to the grueling living conditions of people with AIDS in Africa.

Beau Crosetto, campus minister of SDSU’s Intervarsity Christian Fellowship club, said the San Diego division of ICF heard about the tent and approached World Vision, the off-campus Christian organization that sponsors it, about hosting a tent at SDSU.

He said the tent recreates the life of an African person with AIDS.

While walking through the tent, students, faculty and staff will be given MP3 players to listen to. They will see images of an African person living with AIDS by viewing reenactments of the person’s daily lifestyle.

The SDSU community will also have the opportunity to ask questions in a designated response area and find out how they can contribute time, money or gifts to the cause.

Natalie Chihara, a third-year ICF member and team leader, said it’s important for students to experience the tent and become more conscious of the AIDS pandemic.

“(The tent) will open their eyes to this situation,” she said. “We want to increase awareness, raise questions about God and make people think deeper about the situations we have globally.”

The ICF approached other on-campus groups to help with the hosting and marketing of the tent. AB Samahan, the Asian Pacific Student Alliance, Afrikan Student Union, Campus Crusade For Christ and Navigators will all be involved with the tent’s production tomorrow through Thursday.

AB Samahan Chairperson Stephen Delizo said the Africa tent was a perfect opportunity for Samahan and other groups to assist ICF’s efforts.

“We must recognize the struggles of others, not just (this week) or on World AIDS day but year-round, and ask ourselves how we can help,” Delizo said. “I hope people leave (the tent) empowered to try to make a difference,”

APSA President Tracie Ugamoto said members of APSA will help by working the tent and by wearing T-shirts to advertise it.

Last month, California State University, San Marcos, hosted the tent on its campus for two weeks. Crosetto said it was so well received that CSUSM extended its stay another week.

The tent will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Chihara said students should expect to spend between 20 to 30 minutes inside.

“This is a good opportunity to step out of your own shoes and see what’s going on in other parts of the world,” Chihara said.

Africa tent raises AIDS awareness