A.S. BRIEF: 12-15-08

Petition for Louie’s tallied
The petitions’ signatures to save Louie’s Suds & Sun Pub have been counted and officially accepted by Associated Students. As of now, 1,261 signatures have been verified, A.S. President James Poet said.

Jeremy Katz, business administration representative and member of the A.S. Facilities Board, said the amount of signatures was a notable representation of the student voice and should not be overlooked.

The Facilities Board has agreed to work with Aztec Shops to find a feasible location for Louie’s Pub. However, the board made no promises or guarantees that the attempt would be successful, according to A.S. Facilities Board minutes. The agreement was not an official endorsement from the A.S. Council.

Psychology senior Joseph Kowalow also attended the meeting on Wednesday to ask about rumors that the Modern Space project would be stalled because of California’s economic crisis. Poet said that the rumors were not true and that Modern Space would be proceeding as planned. The California State University Chancellor’s Office and San Diego State officials have also confirmed to The Daily Aztec that such rumors are ungrounded.

Roster changes
The final meeting also brought a minor shake-up to the council roster.

Business Administration Representative Megan McCoy resigned from the executive committee because of scheduling conflicts. After a brief vetting process, InterFraternity Council Representative Tyler Boden was elected to the Executive Committee.

Arts & Letters Representative Benjamin Levine said that he was elected president of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and had to step down from his council position. A.S. then elected Green Love Vice Chair Grant Mack to fill the vacant position. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Student Union Representative Bryan Morelock stepped down from the council because of an upcoming travel abroad experience.

Various awards given
A.S. issued an Above and Beyond Award to the Physical Plant Department for its excellence in cultivating the university’s landscape.

“They work diligently on a day-to-day (basis) to keep our campus clean, comfortable and beautiful,” Poet said. “The Physical Plant Department is an instrumental partner in many of the events of the past year. They also have been a key partner in the Green Love initiative on campus.”

Director of Physical Plant Joe Patterson accepted the award and took the opportunity to praise his staff, calling them a diverse and hardworking group. The department was also recently awarded the national Green Star Award for their work.

Professional Studies and Fine Arts Representative Daniel Brown was also named councilmember of the month at the meeting on Dec. 3.

8212;Compiled by Senior Staff Writer Justin Cooper

A.S. BRIEF: 12-15-08