CAMPUS COMMUNITY: InterVarsity brings Christian views to SDSU

Most people’s opinions about Jesus come from things they hear or see from people around them. But they don’t often make their decisions based on what they’ve read in the Bible.

If you come and check out InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, you’ll not only learn about Jesus, but you’ll see a whole different perspective from what you’ve previously seen or heard.

InterVarsity isn’t a bunch of Christians who sit around all day reading the Bible, hiding from the world – our members are followers of Jesus who are trying to change the world and make a difference. We’re part of the movement that Jesus started 2,000 years ago when he said the purpose of his coming was “to preach good news to the poor,? to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed” (Luke 4:18).

We are Christians who want to make a difference and bring change.

In response to God’s love, grace and truth, the purpose of InterVarsity is to establish and advance, at colleges and universities, communities of students and faculty who follow Jesus as savior and lord – communities whose members grow in love for God, his word and his people of every ethnicity and culture, and support his purposes in the world.

Weekly meetings are held at 3:30 p.m. on Thursdays in the Back Door of Aztec Center. There’s always a speaker who gives a talk about Jesus’ life and how it relates to college students. Additionally, there are community groups for upperclassmen, as well as groups in the Living Learning Center, Cuicacalli, Tenochca and University Towers residence halls. At weekly meetings, there’s also a band consisting of drums, keys, bass, electric and acoustic guitars and two or three vocalists. We love to rock out at InterVarsity – music is a big part of our fellowship.

We have many fun retreats designed to build a deeper community and encounter God. InterVarsity makes biweekly trips to Tijuana, Mexico, to serve in an orphanage.

InterVarsity also holds large-scale events that engage the greater campus culture. The “Africa Tent,” which began yesterday, will be open on Campanile Walkway until Thursday. The tent transports us into one of the most deadly situations in history: the AIDS pandemic in Africa. Visitors are given MP3 players and are able to virtually step into the crisis. Come check it out and increase your awareness – become a part of the solution.

InterVarsity believes all students desire deeper purpose and fulfillment in their lives. As such, we are here to make room for anyone who wants to explore what God has to say about living life. We love and welcome all who are curious, seeking, skeptical or even don’t believe in Jesus.

Come be a part of a changing world – check out www.sdsuintervar

sity.org for more information.

-Natalie Chihara is a Spanish and education senior.

-Beau Crosetto is campus minister for InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

-Student organizations can submit a column about their club to run in The Daily Aztec. For more information, contact Editor in Chief Ben Tambaschi at editor@thedailyaztec.com.

–This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA AND AIDS

?Nearly 40 million people live with AIDS worldwide.

?Sub-Saharan Africa is the most affected region in the world – 24.5 million or 64 percent of all people in the region live with HIV.

?In 2005, the area was home to 2 million children, ages 15 and younger, living with HIV.

?Approximately 12 million children younger than 17 in sub-Saharan Africa have lost one or both parents to AIDS.

?Of the 17.3 million women living with HIV globally, 13.2 million were living in sub-Saharan Africa as of 2005.