Aztecs sweep conference rivals

The weekend was a victorious one for the San Diego State volleyball team, which hosted New Mexico on Thursday, followed by TCU on Saturday in Peterson Gym.

On Thursday SDSU defeated New Mexico in four sets; 25-20, 22-25, 25-19 and 25-20. Although it seemed UNM was on to something when iy stole the second set victory from the Aztecs, SDSU pulled through to win the third and fourth sets to claim the game win.

Sophomore Emily Harris shined, as she finished the game with 10 blocks, a career high for the middle blocker. Saturday was the game everyone was anxiously waiting for. Even though the Aztecs had previously beat the Horned Frogs, as far as skills go, SDSU and TCU are almost dead even. The first two sets were similar, both teams constantly scoring back and forth.

At the beginning, TCU had powerful kills and forceful aces that made the Aztecs struggle defensively.

However, with the help of 24 digs by junior libero Kristi Jackels and 12 kills by sophomore outside hitter Summer Nash, SDSU was able to come back in overtime in both sets and pull out winning scores of, 30-28, and 28-26. Set number three is was when the Aztecs’ momentum took off. Senior outside hitter Paije Pearson and junior middle blocker Andrea Hannasch had a combined 21 kills, which contributed to yet the third overtime set in the game.

The Horned Frogs demonstrated excellent defense and were able to return many of the Aztec serves and kills. Nonetheless, it was SDSU that came out on top, winning the third set 26-24, declaring its second victory against TCU this season.

There were a few aspects of play head coach Deitre Collins-Parker felt the team excelled in that contributed to the team’s win. “We had amazing serving that disrupted TCU’s defense,” Collins-Parker said. “Our offense played well, and all the girls at net played very well.” Up next for the Aztecs will be an away game at 6 p.m. on Thursday at Boise State.

Aztecs sweep conference rivals