Get the truth from SD locals

Screenshot by David J. Olender / Photo Editor

Nobody likes being overcharged at a mechanic or going on a date where the food is superb but the service is subpar. It seems that question of “am I getting the most bang for my buck?” always lingers when going somewhere. However, www.yelp.com has solved this problem through the assistance of local residents.

Founded in 2004, this Web site helps individuals find the best local business based on ratings and reviews from members in the community.

While mainly known for its reviews, Yelp has also become a social community with the ability to interact with other Yelpers and local businesses offering special discounts to those who mention Yelp when they come in.Yelp has even started a calendar of events so you can know just what’s happening in your area.

Just type in what you’re looking for and the area you want to search around, and Yelp delivers a list of places matching your description. From the list you can see how many people have been to the place and the average rating out of five stars.All establishments are also conveniently arranged on a map in the sidebar.When you click on a link, you get every review for the place as well as helpful facts such as the availability of parking and price range and its contact information. Of course, the reviews are only as good as the people who write them, but you can definitely get a sense of how people are judging the place. With the wealth of information Yelp provides, you use your own standards to find the right place, whether you’re looking for a good date restaurant or a place to get your very first tattoo. And, if you have something to add to what Yelp has, you can write your own review.

Get the truth from SD locals