I’M A GIRL, YOU KNOW: Not quite breakfast and not quite lunch

Maura Ochoa / Staff Photographer

Sunday is undoubtedly my favorite day of the week. Although, I’m sure many would disagree with me.

Now, I’m going to go out in left field and assume that most people like Friday or Saturday because these are the two nights when everyone brings out their “fun” to go schmooze around at some frat rager or shake their tail feathers to beats the DJ incessantly spins on the rooftop of Stingaree. And sure, that is all fine and dandy, but come now people. How can one resist the carefree aura that is known as “Sunday Funday?”
Of course, everyone who knows exactly what I’m referring to also knows that there is only one way to properly kick off “Sunday Funday” and that is with a scrumptious brunch.
From bottomless mimosas and spicy Bloody Marys to cure the malady your liver is suffering to Belgian waffles piled high with strawberries and whipped cream, I’ve composed some of my top favorite brunch restaurants in San Diego that offer the best eat-your-heart-out Sunday brunch.
Sneak Joint
If you’re all about getting in your dose of football come Sunday, Sneak Joint in Mission Beach is the prime place to get your kicks. Every weekend, Sneak Joint hosts “Bad-Ass KEGGS and EGGS Sunday-Funday Football-Brunch” from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. For $24.95 per person, guests can indulge in the free-flowing Bloody Mary and champagne bar and chow down on endless omelets, pancakes, French toast and Eggs Benedict while cheering their favorite NFL team. And hey, if that’s not enough for you there’s always the bikini-clad waitresses.
Humphreys Restaurant
Both locally and nationally recognized for its romantic ambience, award-winning coastal cuisine and live music, it’s no wonder that Humphreys is also known as one of the top restaurants for Sunday brunch in San Diego. At $39.95 per person, it’s not easy to find the typical roll-out-of-bed-and-throw-on-some-sweats inexpensive Pacific Beach breakfast deal here. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the bottomless champagne brunch features everything from omelets, pastas and waffles to fresh seafood and meats. Save room for dessert though 8212; the chocolate-dipped strawberries, cheesecakes and ice cream sundaes are irresistible.
Lei Lounge
If you’re craving the classic American continental breakfast, you’re not going to find it here. From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Lei Lounge ups the ante on the traditional American brunch serving unique fare such as Sticky Coconut Crepes, Kobe Steak and Eggs and Salmon Benedict. I must admit that after tasting Disneyland’s version at Blue Bayou and absolutely falling in love, Lei Lounge’s Monte Cristo sandwich 8212; turkey, Canadian bacon, cheddar and Swiss cheeses served between two pieces of French toast 8212; is an impeccable indulgence that any genuine food worshipper, such as myself, most definitely needs to try.
Hash House A Go Go
For those who know the places that define Hillcrest, you are sure to know that Hash House A Go Go is the go-to spot for weekend breakfast. And while some might be thwarted by the lengthy line of anxiously awaiting patrons, the food itself is most definitely worth the wait. From 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., diners can feast on an array of comfort food such as the Sausage Gravy Pot Pie, Barbecued Griddled Flank Steak with Eggs, Maple Pecan French Toast and the infamous “O’Hare of the Dog” which consists of a 24-oz. Budweiser and a side of bacon. Bring your appetite. Better yet, save some cash and share with a friend because a single portion could easily feed a family of five.
Maryjane’s Coffee Shop
The famed coffee shop at the Hard Rock Hotel in downtown is clearly resplendent of San Diego style. Although the words “coffee shop” might offset you, leave it to Hard Rock to give us a hip twist on the way we dine on Sunday mornings. From 6:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Maryjane’s offers everything from Cinnamon Brioche French toast with berries to cheeseburgers with spicy wings 8212; might I add MJ’s famous house-baked L.A. Sticky Buns served hot and fresh.
So whether you’re still awake from last night’s debauchery or having just crawled out of bed at noon, you’re bound to find something at Maryjane’s. Oh, did I mention the build-your-own Bloody Mary bar?
8212;Ryan Eisenacher is a journalism senior.
8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.