Rock and Roll Heart

When I first had a dream about my guitar turning into a woman, Iwas a little disturbed. I figured I took guitar way too far and now Iwas a freak who dreamt of inanimate objects coming to life to becomemy girlfriend.

It wasn’t until I heard the B. B. King song “I Like to Live theLove,” where King compares his passion for music to his passion inloving a woman, that it finally clicked — I want to live the love Ising about.

Guitar is more than a hobby. This wasn’t a dream about my pogs orbaseball cards coming to life, it was a dream about an instrumentthat I cherish. Music and guitar are one of those choice activitiesthat break down the barrier between the physical and spiritual world.As cool as an OG Steely slammer can be, it doesn’t express the soul.

There are things that show us the passion of love. Writing, musicand surfing all take me to the deep expanses of my mind. When I sitdown to play guitar, the block of wood and six steel strings becomemy telescope to the stars.

Guitar connects me to my soul, and so should the woman I love.True love should be a deeply spiritual experience. You should feelthe burning passion for your partner that you have when you strike upa chord or listen to “Little Wing” for the umpteenth time.

My dream about my guitar changing into a woman is just amanifestation of the love I have found in music, but long to find inflesh.

I can’t be sure when I’m going to find this woman, but I know whatto look for, thanks to music. Music is a mentor, and you can learnalmost anything about yourself in a song. If you aren’t learninganything by listening to or playing music, it’s time you listen orplay a little harder.

In my RWS 100 class, I read a dialogue between two jazz artists,Cornell West and Wynton Marsalis. In it, Marsalis claims, “Jazz musicis our art form that was created to codify democratic experience andgive us a model for it. Jazz music was invented to let us know how tolisten to each other, how to negotiate.”

West and Marsalis explain that, by examining a jazz bandstand –where each person tries to be his or her own voice but also plays inharmony

with everyone else, we could learn how to behave in society.

At the time, I thought West and Marsalis were analyzing music toodeeply, but now I realize the truth. Music can teach society how tobehave, and it has already taught me to love. Guitar has given me amodel for love, one that I can use to create a successful andpassionate romance.

Because guitar has taught me this lesson, I am no longer disturbedby my dream. I see it now as a beautiful revelation instead of astrange obsession.

When I start having dreams about my Frank Thomas rookie cardturning into a beautiful woman, or worse yet, a sexy Frank Thomas,I’ll seek counseling.

–Joe Zarro is an undeclared sophomore. The views and opinionsexpressed in this article do not necessarily represent those of TheDaily Aztec.

Rock and Roll Heart