Stick to your guns

The practice of recreational shooting has grown immensely in recent years. Even though gun laws have become stricter and numerous citizens still see the sport as unsafe, many people have taken steps to try this age-old hobby. San Diego offers numerous shooting ranges for “gunmen” of all skill levels and interests. Now both gun enthusiasts and first-time shooters are able to share a common hobby that can be enjoyable and may relieve stress for people of all ages.

Numerous benefits can be drawn from recreational shooting. Many adventurers who take up the activity describe it as incredibly fun. Whether it’s a rifle, BBs or a handgun, there is no substitute to the feeling of the recoil after the shot goes off. Though described by some as a very unsafe sport, recreational shooting ranges pride themselves on safety. According to the Gun Owners of America, with the growing number of gun training / safety programs, the number of injuries are declining and are now at an all-time low, while the number of firearm owners is on the rise. Also, the sport of recreational shooting can be seen as an independent activity that can be enjoyed for an entire lifetime.

Here are several shooting ranges throughout the county that would be of great interest to the first-time shooter or a veteran marksman.

American Shooting Center &- 5590 Ruffin Road, San Diego, 92123

This indoor range and training facility is dedicated to providing members of the public and law enforcement a safe and fun shooting experience. This 14-lane range is rifle capable and has a large selection of handgun, shotgun and rifle rentals. At this range, the minimum age to shoot is 18 years old, while 21 years of age is the minimum age to shoot handguns. If renting a firearm from this range, it is required to shoot the range’s ammunition. Current lane rates are $15 for the first shooter and $10 for any additional shooter in the same lane. Ammunition prices vary.

(858) 279-7233

gotammo.com

Project 2000 Range &- 2082 Willow Glen Dr., El Cajon, 92019

This state-of-the-art facility, just a few miles east of San Diego State, offers the largest climate-controlled indoor shooting range on the West Coast. Nine 100-yard lanes with retractable pistol lines allow shooters the ability to practice at any distance. Outdoor shotgun ranges with lights allow for nighttime shooting. Five stands at the sport clay range permit any shooter to experience the rush of yelling, “Pull!” Also, staff is on hand at all times to assist shooters of all levels. Renting a lane at this establishment will cost a nonmember $14 for the first hour and $10 for every hour after that. Gun rentals are $10 and last all day.

(619) 442-9971

p2krange.com

Stick to your guns