Thwart technicality with intramural sports

Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza, Photo Editor

There are several ways students can get involved with athletics at San Diego State. For example, many students are not aware that with a membership to the Aztec Recreation Center, they are eligible to join an intramural sport on campus.

Intramural sports allow students to create their own teams and play games against other students. However, intramural teams are not only for students, staff and alumni.

“One thing that we do, that is somewhat unique, is that we allow community members to play,” ARC Intramural Sports and Sports Club program supervisor, Andrew Reddish, said.

Those interested in playing an intramural sport can choose from five different leagues: open leagues, women’s leagues, men’s leagues, co-rec leagues and Greek leagues.

Intramural team members have the liberty to choose between those leagues and the level of play they would like to join: A League or B League.

Students looking for a fun and less competitive league should join a B League, Reddish says. On the other hand, students who enjoy competing in more intense sports may be interested in A League. Along with choosing the sport and league, students can choose the day and time they want to compete.

“For the A leagues, you start to see the same faces, same competitive teams,” intramural sports player Brandon Jackson said. “It becomes more of a bragging right and so every semester when basketball season comes around, I know what teams are going to be the top contenders and it’s always a challenge.”

When signing up, students can create their own teams, or register as free agents. According to the ARC website, a free agent is “an individual who wants to participate in an intramural league, but does not have a team.”

If enough students sign up as free agents, a team will be formed for them.

Others may simply be looking for a one-time opportunity to participate in an intramural sport, so day passes are also offered. Unlike being a regular member on an intramural team, players using a day pass must pay a fee to participate. The fees are $6 for students, $9 for affiliates and $12 for community members.

The sports offered in the first season of the fall semester were flag football, indoor soccer, softball, volleyball and tennis. The second season of the fall semester includes five-on-five basketball, fraternity flag football, outdoor soccer, dodgeball, a one-day Greek kickball tournament and a Madden NFL Playstation 3 tournament.

“It’s all about a fun, safe, enjoyable environment for students, faculty, staff, alumni and also community members to get involved and get that competitive outlet,” Reddish said. “We offer sports that range from Saturday to Tuesday in the afternoon … So we have a lot of time to work around anybody’s schedules.”

In addition to, promoting an active lifestyle, intramural sports allow students to benefit from greater levels of sportsmanship and athletic skills while participating in activities they love.

“I’ve been playing sports my whole life. Other than more experience, I’ve probably just gained overall better sportsmanship, better teamwork and … learning to be more of a team player,” Jackson said.