Nasatir deemed safe

Karli Cadel / Staff Photographer

The university currently has no plans to conduct additional environmental tests on Nasatir Hall, Greg Block, San Diego State director of media relations and new media, said.

As reported last week, since 1993, one graduate student and two professors have died from the same type of brain cancer and another retired professor is currently surviving a different type of brain cancer, according to faculty members who work in the building. All four men spent long hours inside or near Nasatir Hall 131, according to faculty members who work in the building.

Block said that in preparation for the upcoming renovations, Storm and Nasatir Halls both underwent full environmental surveys in the summer of 2007. The survey addressed a variety of materials which included asbestos, lead paint and PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls).

“Generally it found that there was nothing unusual,” Block said. “There are no abnormal issues with any of the materials.”

Additionally, Block said the annual review of Nasatir Hall, which is a surveillance of asbestos, took place in June 2008.

Aside from asbestos, faculty members have also expressed concern about whether or not nearby structures such as the garbage disposal facility and machinery behind the West End Plaza at West Commons food court and the cell tower on top of the Communication Building could be potential causes. Block said the cell tower, which has a Sprint antenna on it, was erected in 2005.

Prior to the cell tower, KPBS equipment once stood on top of the same building.

KPBS Director of Engineering Leon Messenie said all equipment was removed from the area from 1995 to 1997 when the station moved to its new location at the Gateway Center.

“Even when we were over there, our equipment was point-to-point microwave from the two towers that were over there, one was for radio and one was for television, to Mount San Miguel, which is actually pointed the opposite direction of Nasatir Hall,” Messenie said.

Although the materials in Nastair Hall have been tested, Block said the area has not been tested for electromagnetic radiation.

Some faculty, staff and students believe that the building should be tested further, however.

“It just seems like they should be testing in there,” Sociology Department Coordinator Melanie Dumont said.

In addition to no plans for additional testing, Block also said no part of Nasatir Hall has been restricted from use.

The conjoined rooms of NH 131 and 129 act as one big office for graduate students who are teaching associates in the political science department. Both offices are still used frequently, but some graduate teaching associates are using the space less.

Bonnie Chiurazzi, a political science graduate student and teaching associate, said she used the office for 20 or more hours a week prior to hearing concerns about the building.

“A lot of us, myself included, have definitely cut down on usage,” Chiurazzi said.

Chiurazzi said that even her students are “a little timid.” One student even asked her if they could meet at the nearby Starbucks for office hours, while two others preferred chatting by e-mail rather than in NH 131.

Nevertheless, Chiurazzi said there is not much need for concern because the political science department will be moved to the Adams Humanities building prior to renovations.

“Another month and a half probably won’t hurt anyone,” Chiurazzi said.

Others, however, insist that tests should be conducted.

Political science graduate student and teaching associate Jon-Patrick Allem said he spends at least two to three hours a day in the building, and most teaching associates have a key to NH 131.

“I would like to see the university conduct additional tests,” Allem said. “We have the means to do so, especially since we have epidemiologists on campus teaching and conducting research.”

Whether environmental factors are the cause of the cancer cases or not, many people on campus said they feel university officials have a responsibility to look into the cases.

“I would think the university would be interested in learning all it can about the situation in the building,” political science professor C. Richard Hofstetter said.

Nasatir deemed safe