REEL 2 REAL: Spike Jonze brings the ‘Wild Things’ to life

Courtesy of Warner Bros.

In Maurice Sendak’s beloved book “Where the Wild Things Are,” the ferocious beasts roar their terrible roars, gnash their terrible teeth, roll their terrible eyes and show their terrible claws. In Spike Jonze’s latest film adaptation, the wild things are misunderstood, moody creatures that are anything but terrible.

The movie follows the adventures of a young boy named Max, who runs away from home when he feels unloved. His travels eventually take him to the island where the wild things are. Here he encounters the emotional group of Carol (voiced by James Gandolfini), Alexander (voiced by Paul Dano), Judith (voiced by Catherine O’Hara), Ira (voiced by Forest Whitaker), Douglas (voiced by Chris Cooper) and KW (voiced by Lauren Ambrose). When the unstable bunch decides to eat Max, he saves himself by telling them he is a powerful king and has come to help them. “Will you keep out all the sadness?” a slightly skeptical wild thing asks. When Max promises to use his sadness shield to protect them, the six wild things and Max begin a crazy journey full of minor self-discovery.

Sendak’s book is only ten sentences long, yet the movie runs about 94 minutes. The cinematic wild things are almost exact replicas of the book’s illustrations, right down to Max’s famous wolf suit. Other aspects are not paralleled between the two mediums, but most parts stay true to the movie’s roots.

“Where the Wild Things Are” is a whirlwind of feeling. Too many times the misery seems to be looking up only to come crashing back down. It seems as if every joke goes sour.

Nonetheless, this is a children’s movie and it yields to its targeted audience. Plus, even adults can’t help finding the fuzzy critters adorable, and despite the bad plot, the movie has a pleasant mental aftertaste. The characters’ emotions are more human than wild, yet this makes them more relatable. It is only when Max and Carol have reached their self-realizations that the movie seems to have a purpose, but the road to these discoveries is merely aesthetically and adolescently pleasing.

“Where the Wild Things Are” is a good movie for kids, families and those who are a wild thing at heart.

For more information on “Where the Wild Things Are,” visit http://wherethewildthingsare.warnerbros.com.

Movie: Where the Wild Things Are
    Distributed by: Warner Bros.
    Directed by: Spike Jonze
    Grade: B-