NATIONAL NEWS: 2-10-09

Obama warns delay could deepen disaster
The U.S. Senate voted yesterday to halt debate about the unprecedented economic stimulus package; a move that some analysts say virtually guarantees Senate approval in the vote scheduled for today.

President Barack Obama urged Congress to pass the bill immediately to avoid deepening the economic crisis, stating that a delay would only make matters worse.

The $819 billion stimulus proposal includes broader spending and fewer tax cuts.

Senators voted 61 to 36 to halt discussions and move on to a vote.
If the Senate passes the bill today, then a House-Senate conference will be held to clear up differences in the two versions of the stimulus bill.

Obama said he hopes to sign the package by the end of the week.

New York Yankee star admits using performance-enhancing drugs

New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez admitted he started using steroids while playing for the Texas Rangers during the 2001 season. During an interview with Peter Gammons that aired last night on ESPN, the third baseman was apologetic for using drugs during all three seasons with the Rangers.

“I did take a banned substance. And for that I am very sorry and deeply regretful,” Rodriguez said, according to an Associated Press report of the ESPN interview.

The 33-year-old player was considered most likely to break Barry Bonds’ all-time home run record. Rodriguez has hit 553 home runs compared with Bonds’ record of 762 home runs.

Rodriguez denied using steroids during a “60 Minutes” interview in 2007.

Immigration crackdown overwhelms cour
ts
An immigration crackdown, initiated by the Bush administration, increased funding for agents and lawyers to prosecute illegal immigrants.

However, immigration judges are feeling the heavy weight of the increasing caseload, according to www.NPR.org. Immigration judges oversee deportation and asylum hearings. Some of these cases are comparable to some death penalty cases, according to Dana Leigh Marks, the head of the National Association of Immigration Judges.

The judges said it is difficult to keep up with the increased workload.
The 214 immigration judges oversaw almost 350,000 immigration cases nationwide.

-Compiled by City Editor Wendy Fry

Sources: www.NPR.org, www.CNN.com, www.Washingtonpost.com, www.ESPN.com

NATIONAL NEWS: 2-10-09