PATTY’S CAKES: Pour your heart out

Patricia Dwyer / Staff Photographer

There is nothing pleasant about it. Getting your heart broken is on par with getting punched in the chest by Shaquille O’Neal and having your heart covered in Bengay at the same time. But alas, sooner or later it happens to all of us.

An article released by www.CNN.com last year, cited similarities between being in love with someone and being high on cocaine. When you are infatuated with someone, your brain releases a euphoric chemical that you basically become addicted to. Once the person that you love leaves your life, you slip into withdrawal-like symptoms. An example of this is heartbreak.

Keeping that in mind, there is no mantra or logical thought process that is going to help you get rid of your pain. But the good news is, the pain doesn’t last forever, and you’ll most likely be a more well-rounded person afterward. Of course, this is of little to no consolation when you’re going through boxes of tissues by the hour, but here are some steps to make the light at the end of the tunnel a little more palpable.

Be a crybaby

Do it, go ahead, cry your little broken heart out. If you don’t do it now it’s going to sneak up on you one day when you are in the grocery store picking out tortilla chips. Remember those first few scenes in “Forgetting Sarah Marshall?” Yes, you do. There’s no shame in wailing like a little girl when the one you gave your heart to decides its not good enough.

Surround yourself with your friends
Don’t be alone! Being alone sucks 8212; You sit there and wallow in your misery and get yourself into a horrific cycle that can perpetuate itself for days. You need to branch out and connect with those still close to you. Call up all of your closest friends and even if you don’t talk about your now-ruined relationship, general conversation will be enough to get you out of your rut for a little bit.

Don’t get on Facebook
After you change your relationship status, get off and don’t log back on for at least a week. Even if you think you can handle it, you’re going to see your former flame chatting it up with some floozies or bros and it’s going to take you all the way back to step number one. Go on to Web sites such as Wikipedia or YouTube, but stay away from Facebook.

Get mad

Becoming generally angry at the situation is part of the healing process. There’s no way you’re going to go through all your grieving without feeling a little wronged. But it’s important to remember that you’re probably being irrational and you’re not going to be mad for very long. Don’t contact your ex and scream at them 8212; It’ll make you seem crazy and you’ll regret it the next day. Vent to your friends or your diary, just let yourself be angry.

Get moving
Did you know that sharks have to keep swimming in order to breathe? A broken heart is the same way. If you stay stagnant on the couch for too long, all of your hard work will come tumbling down in a cascade of hot tears and self-loathing. Go out with your friends, go to the beach, read every book on the New York Times best sellers list. Weenies sit on couches, not martyrs.

Your heart has been broken and you can’t always control your feelings. Fortunately, you can control your actions. Try to look at the bright side; think of all the stuff you can do with all that time that you used to give to your partner. So, chin up and don’t look back.

8212;Patricia Dwyer is a journalism sophomore who just got her heart broken.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

PATTY’S CAKES: Pour your heart out