KARMA, PLEASE CLOSE YOUR EYES: Reviewing Mexican security firsthand

Drugs, fear and violence are all we hear lately about Mexico. Especially now during most college students’ Spring Break, many are being warned not to go.

Well, I went. And from what I saw 8212; and from talking to locals and travelers in the area 8212; Acapulco seems safer now than it has in 20 years.

All over the news we hear about how dangerous it is in Mexico and otherhorror stories of random, innocent people being killed. The media makes it sound like Mexico is this chaotic scene of bullets flying everywhere.

In October of last year, a Newsweek article said, “While the vast majority of those killed are affiliated with the drug cartels, dozens if not hundreds of innocents have been killed in the past year.”

But we have to remember that Mexico is a big place with a population of approximately 110 million. I’m not saying that it’s okay for that many people to be killed but I just want to give a little broader perspective. According to The San Diego Union-Tribune there were almost 60 homicides during 2007 just in San Diego, and 392 supposedly in Los Angeles.

So how much more dangerous is Mexico than California, let alone the entirety of the United States?

The U.S. State Department alert says that the increase in violence is mostly around the U.S. border, but I’ve read articles about violence all over Mexico from Tijuana down to Mexico City.

I think there are two important things to realize. Yes, sometimes innocent people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but for the most part, the violence is between the drug cartels.

Something to keep in mind is the timeliness of this media outcry. No one can deny the problems in Mexico and that anyone traveling there should enter with extreme caution and awareness, but if you read into this Mexican Drug War you would see that these problems are nothing new.

The Mexican police have been dealing with major drug lords such as Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo since the 1980s. Since then there have been many more deaths and arrests, all related to issues dealing with drug trafficking and gang rivalry.

American media outlets tend to work around ratings rather than informing the people about the truth 8212; front page stories about Britney Spears’ belly and Angelina Jolie’s baby hit headlines only in the U.S. 8212; so it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if these issues were hitting headlines now in order to avoid other issues.

A whole other issue besides how this affects American travelers is how it affects Mexico, from the culture and society to the government and economy.

Two years ago, The New York Times printed an article stating, “… violent crime 8212; much of it believed to be drug-related 8212; has threatened to curb the booming tourism industry in one of Mexico’s most visited resorts.”

Well that makes sense; when we read all over the paper that it’s a bloodbath in Mexico and we get warnings to not step foot over the border, of course no one wants to go on vacation there. And even though I got plenty of worried reactions and warnings when I said I was going to Acapulco for Spring Break, I saw firsthand that the Mexican government has actually made the touristy parts of Mexico safer than usual because of the negative press. We all know that Mexico’s tourist industry can’t afford a decrease in visitors.

Both the beaches and the streets had police and security everywhere. There were casual tourist assistance officers who are there solely to help tourists with any issues, then there were police with guns that, trust me, were not little pistols on a gun belt; I don’t know anything about weapons but to me, these resembled machine guns. These guys were not playing games, that’s for sure.

The truth is that although Mexico has problems with drugs and violence, a tourist taking a weeklong beach vacation to Cancun, Cabo San Lucas or Acapulco probably isn’t going to get caught up in the drug war.

The U.S. State Department alert advises people traveling to Mexico simply to be aware of their surroundings and take all the normal safety precautions. Well, duh. Traveling in a foreign country always has its dangers.

Mexico may be as dangerous as they say, but I think it’s more about location and travel smarts. Tourists traveling to Mexico should be more worried about getting pick-pocketed or sick from the water, not getting caught up in a drug-related shoot-out.

8212;Kristina Peltin is an interdisciplinary studies sophomore.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.