FOOTBALL: Missouri QB will be a challenge for SDSU

MCT Campus

It’s hard to understand why Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert doesn’t make more headlines in today’s sensationalized, blow-everything-out-of-proportion, prisoner-of-the-moment news world.

The junior is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. He might even be No. 1 by the time this season ends. He’s 6 feet 5 inches, 235 pounds, has a jet engine for an arm and has the statistics to match his measurables. Yet in the national spotlight, he’s nowhere to be found.

But even though national outlets such as ESPN and Yahoo! Sports haven’t noticed him yet, the San Diego State football team certainly has.

“I’ll tell you,” head coach Brady Hoke said. “He’s awfully accurate with the football and he’s got a big strong arm. I was just watching some of their passing game, and he throws the out (route) and it’s on a rope. He’s a good football player.”

Gabbert has thrown for 501 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions this season. He’s completing a ridiculous 75.9 percent of his passes, the best in the nation by far. And he’s undoubtedly the biggest reason why Missouri is 2-0 this season, beating Illinois and McNeese State by a combined score of 73-19.

“He’s a big, strong-armed guy,” Hoke said. “And he can run the ball too.”

SDSU defensive back Andrew Preston has seen some pretty good quarterbacks in his career with the Aztecs. In practice, he’s faced Ryan Lindley and Kevin O’Connell. In games, he’s seen Jimmy Clausen, Andy Dalton, Max Hall, Brian Johnson and Rudy Carpenter.

On Saturday, when SDSU takes on No. 25 Missouri in Columbia, Mo., he’ll get to add Gabbert’s name to that impressive list.

“I’ve seen a lot of film of him actually, going back to last year too,” Preston said. “He’s a good quarterback. He’s definitely got a strong arm. I was just watching some film of him this morning, and he can run from one side of the field to the other 8212; he’s running to the left and then throwing across his body and he’s throwing a bullet. So it’s definitely going to be a great opportunity to play against a good quarterback.”

The Aztecs haven’t faced a team with this caliber of quarterback since they fell to Dalton’s TCU squad 55-12 last season. This year, SDSU has only allowed 306 passing yards to bottom feeders Nicholls State and New Mexico State. So Preston is happy to greet the challenge Gabbert brings this weekend.

“He’s got good receivers and good targets to throw to,” Preston said. “So it’ll be a great opportunity like I said and we’re looking forward to it.”

When:4p.m. PT, Saturday

Where:Columbia,Mo.

TV:Pay Per View (check local listings)

Why to watch:SDSUwill try to beat a ranked opponent and move to 3-0 this season.