Testing before it is too late

MCT Campus

Syphilis. Eight little letters, one big pain. The first thing that probably comes to mind is, “Syphilis, we heard all of this in the great outbreak of “07!” And while syphilis may no longer be quite as trendy at San Diego State, it’s like good old corduroy pants 8212; always lurking on the periphery, waiting for the chance to be in fashion again.

Caused by the bacterium Treponema pallidum, this pesky little STD cannot be caught from sharing clothing, eating utensils and even hot tubs 8212; as much as I like to call the hot tubs at the Aquaplex “STD Soup.”

What’s more important to know, as with all sexually transmitted diseases, is how to avoid it. Syphilis, like other communicable diseases, can be contracted when a person comes into contact with an infected person; in this case it is contact with a sore. Yes, syphilis causes sores. These sores, also called chancres, can be found on the external genitals, vagina, anus or the rectum; but don’t be fooled, chancres also occur in the mouth and on the lips. The appearance of the lone chancre marks the primary stage of syphilis.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “The time between infection with syphilis and the start of the first symptom can range from 10 to 90 days.” In the primary stage, the chancre is small, round and firm, but painless, and develops at the spot where the bacterium entered the body.

Stage two of syphilis segues from the healing of the chancre to a rash 8212; one that is not necessarily itchy. While the chancres and rashes will resolve without any treatment, if no treatment is administered, late and latent stages of syphilis will develop. And just how the pesky boyfriend turns into the psycho ex-boyfriend, this stage is even more dangerous.

The hidden, late stage is when syphilis remains in the body for years without any physical manifestations, which can cause people with syphilis to unknowingly spread the disease. Later, syphilis can cause considerable damage to the internal organs and even cause death.

There is hope, though. If caught in the first or second stages, a simple antibiotic can clear the syphilis right up, but Interim County Public Health Officer Wilma Wooten, M.D., M.P.H said, “Because it can be undetectable initially, it’s important for people to get tested if they think they may have been exposed.” Which, at this university, means it would be a good idea to get tested on at least a bimonthly basis.

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

Testing before it is too late