Assault of soda

After biting into a juicy burger and munching on some salty fries, the first thing my tongue craves is a glass of ice-cold soda. The fizzy bubbles, the sweet refreshment, the crisp taste 8212; so delicious. I’m not alone in my affixation with the sweet carbonation. Last year alone, Americans drank 10 billion cases of soft drinks, according to WebMD, accounting for the single greatest source of calories in the American diet.

The consumption of soft drinks has become a national habit, leading concerned researchers to study the long-term effects of America’s beloved beverage. Studies show just one soda a day can boost the risk of heart disease by 20 to 30 percent, causing obesity, diabetes and tooth decay. While soda may be your drink of choice in most dehydration situations, it’s time to think twice about your fizzy favorite and opt for a cold glass of water, all-natural juice or milk instead.

The main problem with soda is the hefty amount of sugar used to captivate our taste buds. A 12-ounce serving contains an estimated 8 or 9 teaspoons of sugar, according to The New York Times, instantly adding at least 100 calories to a meal. But it’s more than just weight gain doctors are worried about. Obesity, the newest disease our generation has fallen prone to, is now being directly linked to the consumption of soda. A study of Massachusetts’ schoolchildren found that for each additional sweet drink consumed per day, the odds of obesity increased 60 percent, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.
The high amounts of sugar rapidly lower white blood cell counts by 50 percent, lowering the ability of the body’s immune system to fight off germs. The effects of having a soda for lunch, midday and dinner 8212; every day 8212; can be devastating to a person’s natural defenses, and may even set them up for more viruses and colds.

Not only does the average soda drinker constantly add hundreds of empty calories to his or her diet, weakening the immune system, it also increases their blood sugar levels by dramatic levels. High levels of sugar in the body make the pancreas produce more insulin, which is used to clear the body of excess sugar. An overworked pancreas will eventually weaken and slow its insulin production &- resulting in adult diabetes.

The list of body-damaging effects of soda goes on 8212; right around this point, you’re probably ready to swear off soft drinks for life. But if you’re not yet willing to quit your favorite flavor of fizz, this last fact should do it: Soda has enough acidity to dissolve a steak in two days, and a nail in four. The high acidity of soda corrupts tooth enamel and can eventually wear them down, causing tooth decay. Soda, with a pH of 2.8, can also agitate the stomach lining, and make a person more susceptible to painful ulcers. Doctors recommend that after every soda, a person rinse out his or her mouth or down a glass of water to dilute the cola consequences.

If in need of an instant caffeinated boost, stay away from the energy drink isle; try black tea or coffee instead. Remember, it’s up to you to retain a healthy functioning body 8212; it’s the only one you’ve got!

8212;This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.

Assault of soda