Basketball Notebook: Rahon ‘ready to go’

Guard James Rahon was battling an ear infection, but head coach Steve Fisher said he?s ready to play tonight.

The San Diego State men’s basketball team faces St. Mary’s tonight at Viejas Arena, but it might not be at full strength. Take a look at an injury update and other notes as SDSU gets set to face the Gaels at 7:30 p.m.

Rahon “ready to go”

The Aztecs were working hard on Monday evening, prepping for their big matchup with St. Mary’s. But one of their key players was sitting on the bench in a sweatshirt and sweats.

Guard James Rahon is battling an inner ear infection. But yesterday head coach Steve Fisher said Rahon would be “ready to go.”

Shelton, Franklin battling injuries

Twelve players are eligible to play for SDSU this season (transfer Xavier Thames has to sit out a year). Eleven of them played against San Diego Christian College last Friday night.

Tim Shelton was the only Aztec held out of the game. According to Fisher, his surgically repaired knees are bothering him.

“His knees are problematic,” Fisher said.

Fisher went on to say Shelton would play Wednesday night, despite minimal participation in practice this week.

Another player nursing an injury is freshman Jamaal Franklin. The guard got hit on the head in practice on Sunday. On Monday, he was wearing a big, white bandage protecting the wound. Fisher said he would be fine for Wednesday.

Rivalry game

St. Mary’s isn’t BYU, UNLV or New Mexico, but sophomore guard Chase Tapley still considers the Gaels a rival.

“I’m saying yeah, it is a rivalry,” Tapley said. “It’s a good, friendly rivalry.”

Tapley said one of the reasons he considers them a rival is because SDSU has played the Gaels so many times in recent years. The Aztecs and St. Mary’s have faced off in five straight seasons, including the national semifinals of the 2009 postseason NIT, when SDSU won the game that sent them to New York for the NIT’s final four.

Fisher wouldn’t go as far as to call it a rivalry, but he did say his team would be motivated because St. Mary’s owns an all-time record of 6-4 against the Aztecs.

“They’ve gotten the best of us,” Fisher said. “So we’re hoping that we can find a way to get a win.”

Get your tickets

The SDSU athletic department is expecting a capacity crowd tonight at Viejas Arena. Fans are encouraged to get their tickets well before the game tonight to avoid lengthy lines at the arena before tip-off. Students can pick up their free tickets with a valid student ID.