CAMPUS CRIME: 3-15-10

Battery
March 3 8212; A San Diego State student was reportedly battered near Los Panchos Taco Shop, according to a SDSU Police media bulletin. SDSU Police Capt. Lamine Secka said officers approached a vehicle with its hazard lights on at the intersection of College Avenue and Lindo Paseo around 2 p.m. Secka said the driver, who was the 19-year-old victim, told officers that an unknown man approached him and started punching him in the face when he walked by the taco shop approximately an hour earlier. According to Secka, the victim was not sure what initiated the incident. Secka said the victim had a bloody nose and lacerations on his head, but refused medical treatment.

Vehicle theft
March 3 8212; A student’s vehicle was reportedly stolen from Parking Structure 1 between 4:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. The value of the 1996 black Honda Accord is estimated to be $3,000. The car was entered into the national stolen vehicle computer database. The vehicle has not yet been recovered.

Vehicle burglaries

March 3 8212; A student’s car was burglarized in Parking Structure 1. The 2000 silver Mitsubishi Eclipse was reportedly burglarized between 9 a.m. and 3:40 p.m. The victim reported that a woman’s bag and a cell phone charger had been taken. The total loss is valued at $265.

A professor’s vehicle was burglarized in the same parking structure between noon and 3:40 p.m. One of the 1996 brown Toyota Camry’s windows was reportedly smashed, and a laptop and laptop case were reportedly taken.

Suspicious circumstances

March 2 8212; Police arrested a man who they believe may be responsible for various vehicle burglaries that have occurred on campus. Secka said a number of vehicles were broken into earlier in the week. Steven Marino was arrested at 1:30 p.m. in Parking Structure 3.

Secka said the 34-year-old, who is not affiliated with the university, was seen driving through the area and looked suspicious. Marino was arrested and transported to jail for possession of methamphetamine, a billy club, a knife on campus, burglary tools, stolen property, false registration and a suspended license. Marino had a number of tools, including a knife, pocketknives, hammers, screwdrivers, a handsaw, a flashlight and other miscellaneous implements, according to Secka. Secka said Marino has a long criminal history, which includes theft.

8212;Compiledby Assistant City Editor Kristina Blake

CAMPUS CRIME: 3-15-10