Suspicious item prompts bomb scare

Keturah Oberst / Staff Photographer

A suspicious package was left near the lower level of the San Diego State trolley station at around 1 p.m. last Tuesday, prompting security to notify SDSU police. According to Capt. Lamine Secka, a bomb-sniffing canine was dispatched and alerted police of dangerous chemicals. The trolley station closed and both the Metro Arson Strike Team and San Diego Fire Department bomb squad were sent to the scene. SDSU police also closed Adams Humanities, Aztec Center and the Chipotle apartment complex near campus.

SDSU Police Cpl. Brian Weaver said it took less than a half an hour to fully evacuate the buildings and surrounding area.

Students received an emergency text from SDSU’s mass notification system at 1:44 p.m., which stated SDSU police were investigating the area. It also alerted people to anticipate interrupted trolley service and to avoid the station area.

After the text was sent, hundreds of students, faculty and staff gathered near the police-lined perimeter. Those who needed to travel by trolley were shuttled to nearby stations.

Sophomores Alex Accornero, Julie Gall and Alex Difrancesco had class in Adams Humanities at 2 p.m. and were surprised to see the building blocked off.

Gall was the only one of the three students to receive the emergency text message, while Accornero saw the warning on Twitter and Difrancesco heard the announcement from the campus loudspeakers.

Associated Students President Grant Mack rushed through the crowd of his constituents, barely pausing to take in the scene and declined to offer any comment or words of comfort to students.

At 3:50 p.m., Secka announced that all campus buildings were reopened and San Diego Metropolitan Transit System would resume normal service.

MAST and the bomb squad deemed the suspicious item, a bag, was safe. The dog had detected a two-part chemical apoxy, but it was not explosive in nature.

Secka said a surveillance video from the station would be used in the investigation to find the individual who left the item. However, no one has been apprehended yet. The chemicals within the bag are still undetermined, but a bomb squad is working to determine the contents.

Suspicious item prompts bomb scare