Old Town gym offers climbing adventures

The Solid Rock Gym has 36 top ropes, more than 120 climbing routes, two areas for bouldering, a crack tower and more.

For some, the weight room in the Aztec Recreation Center is a constant sirens’ call. To others, the toil of dumbbells and treadmills can lose its appeal quickly. For students looking to get pumped without pumping iron, the Solid Rock Gym in Old Town presents an alluring alternative.

Solid Rock Gym, an establishment dedicated entirely to rock climbing, offers an intense workout and adrenaline rush beyond any traditional fitness center. Lauren Varney, who climbed her first route at Solid Rock just three years ago, got the itch for scaling stone upon her first visit and is now the lead manager of the Old Town location.

“It’s cardio, it works every single muscle and it’s a complete mind game,” Varney said. “(Rock climbing) is not just a hobby, it’s an addiction.”

Upon entering Solid Rock Gym, one will notice it screams adventure. Visitors are greeted with towering walls of faux granite dotted with colorful handholds streamed with 36 top ropes. The knowledgeable staff and state-of-the-art equipment provides a safe and comfortable environment for getting started.

“Anyone can do it,” Varney said. “You do it for three or four months and it becomes second nature.”

According to Varney, many of the members start as beginners and within weeks are topping out on walls they never dreamed of attempting. And with only one documented injury in almost 20 years, Solid Rock maintains a gold standard for safety at all levels.

The gym is home to more than 120 climbing routes, two bouldering areas, two lead-climbing caves and even a crack tower for the hardcore fanatics. Its features challenge everyone from novices to experienced climbers. According to Varney, members receive a complete, thorough workout when scaling the routes she established.

The gym expanded a year ago to include a slacklining area and a new top out bouldering structure members say is more realistic with higher walls.

And if giving up the old addiction to dumbbells seems too big a leap for some, Solid Rock is also home to a full weight room equipped with lifting machines and cardio trainers.

Rock climbing is one of the best ways to achieve a full body workout. In one hour at Solid Rock a climber can burn around 1,500 calories and easily max out their muscle capacity. Rock climbing centralizes on building lean muscle, chiseling out one’s build and increasing stamina. Varney said some of the biggest, most muscle-bound people who come into Solid Rock are exhausted before attempting their third climb.

“It’s a workout like no other,” she said. “Climbing will get you into shape and pump positive chemicals into your head.” Varney emphasizes the intense mental stimulation involved in rock climbing, and members claim the endorphin rush is a large part of what brings them back.

There are three Solid Rock gyms in the area: Old Town, Poway and San Marcos, and the latter two are currently offering specials to military and students.

All a first timer needs to get started is a pair of climbing shoes and a harness, both of which the gym offers at inexpensive rental prices. A day pass costs $13 and Solid Rock’s monthly membership is less expensive than any other climbing gym in San Diego County.

“We have a really strong community amongst our members and we’re always welcoming new faces,” Varney said. With an ever-expanding community that currently claims more than 800 members, Solid Rock Gym is eager to embrace newcomers of all experience levels. Visit solidrockgym.com for more information.

Old Town gym offers climbing adventures