Students with children struggle for balance

By Andrea Mora, Senior Staff Writer

Like many San Diego State students, criminal justice senior Marjorie Calvillo begins her mornings at 6 a.m. She makes breakfast, gets ready for work and heads out the door. But before clocking in to work at the SDSU Children’s Center, she walks her 4-year-old son to his classroom down the hall.

When her shift ends, Calvillo attends class on campus from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. and then picks her son up from a babysitter before heading home to study. As a single parent, she has learned to manage her time wisely between doing homework, studying for exams, attending class, working 20 hours a week and spending time with her young son.
She would not change a thing.

“Your child is always who comes first no matter what,” Calvillo said. “It doesn’t matter what you have planned or what you want in life, it’s always going to be what’s best for your child.”

College life can be difficult for many students, but adding a baby into an already busy schedule can become a harsh scramble for time for parents, coupled or single, who are not well-prepared for the challenge. Students have other options besides simultaneous parenthood and college studies, including abortion and adoption. Those who choose to keep their baby while attending school face the challenge of balancing a hectic life of expenses and schoolwork, in addition to the task of raising a child. Here are a few key local resources for students who are parents.

Doctors and medical insurance
Choosing the right OB-GYN is an important first step, because he or she will be closely involved throughout the pregnancy process and help deliver the baby. Students can ask friends or relatives who have recently given birth for recommendations or search online for doctors and clinics, SDSU sexual health educator Angela Basham said.

The Perinatal Care Network aids expectant mothers in finding a prenatal care provider in their area, applying for Medi-Cal insurance, scheduling doctor appointments for free health check-ups and shots for infants and obtaining free bus and trolley tokens for prenatal care appointments. Call the network’s toll-free hotline at 800-675-2229 for further assistance.

Healthy prenatal diet choices
Doctors recommend pregnant women take daily prenatal vitamins packed with iron, folic acid and calcium to support the baby’s healthy development. In addition, pregnant women need to consume an extra 300 calories a day and an assortment of grains, vegetables, fruits, milk products and proteins.

Pregnant women should avoid undercooked meat and poultry because it may cause food poising, according to past research. Shrimp and salmon are healthy in moderation, but expectant mothers should avoid fish that are raw or high in mercury. Pregnant women should also avoid caffeine, smoking, alcohol and drugs. For those who think they may be at risk, call the California Pregnancy Risk Information Line at 800-532-3749.

Housing and utilities
San Diego Gas and Electric Company helps families save money on energy bills by providing discount programs online at www.sdge.com/residential/assistance. For couples planning to move in together, or for single parents, there are affordable housing options offered on a sliding scale or reduced rate to those who qualify.

One resource is South Bay Community Services, which provides low-cost housing to working families. The Community Development Department also offers support to residents in fair housing assistance, financial literacy, counseling, job readiness and training. For more information visit www.southbaycommunityservices.org or call 619-420-3620.

Baby food, diapers and others supplies

Birthline of San Diego County provides free baby food and clothing to mothers in need. Diapers, formula, baby food and adult food, as well as new and used clothes for mothers, infants and young children are available in the Clairemont or Chula Vista offices. For more information visit www.birthlineofsandiego.org or call 619-425-5012.

The federally funded program Women, Infants and Children provides vouchers for nutritious foods that are high in vitamins and essential nutrients, including eggs, milk, cheese and peanut butter. Nutrition counseling, cooking demonstrations, breastfeeding classes and community referral assistance are other free services that are available to those who qualify.

Eligibility for WIC is based on family size and income. WIC covers women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and infants and children younger than 5 years old. To enroll by phone, contact the American Red Cross WIC program at 800-500-6411 or visit www.sandiegowic.org.

Daycare expenses and school
The SDSU Children’s Center, located on the edge of campus near the Cuicacalli suites, provides a convenient child care solution for students. Approximately 30 percent of enrollees are children of current students, according to the center’s director, Robin Judd.

Other programs, such as those through the California Department of Education, aid students in paying for childcare services. The maximum income level a family can have and receive assistance is capped at 75 percent of the state median income, which is less than $45,000 for a family of three. Many families who qualify pay a smaller fee, and some may not have to pay a fee at all.

Calvillo, origionally from Fresno County, has been attending SDSU for more than two years and understands the challenges as a single-parent and full-time student. She advises future parents to stay in school and never give up on their goals.

“I’ve been through so much, especially being a single parent,” she said. “You just have to be a strong-willed person. I have no family here at all; it’s just me and my son. If I could move away from all my family and come to school, I don’t see why anybody else couldn’t do it … Having a baby shouldn’t stop you.”