Take control of your food cravings

Daniel Meza / Staff Photographer

Have you ever reached for a box of cookies planning to eat just two and before you know it the box is empty? Sometimes, our mindless cravings get the best of us, and it can cause healthy food decisions to take the backseat.

But with Spring Break approaching, conservative winter clothes won’t be your buffer to hide the effects of those unhealthy indulgences.

According to research conducted by Dr. Brian Wansink, author of “Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think,” our cravings and the amount we eat are more psychologically driven than we think.

Here are a few tips to help you avoid submission to your sweet cravings, so you can wear your bathing suit with confidence.

Avoid variety
The more variety a snack has 8212; such as party mix with pretzels, peanuts, etc. 8212; the more we consume. According to a study conducted by Wansink on variety and consumption patterns, people normally eat around 20 percent more if they perceive a snack to have more assortment variety. To avoid this, try eating one type of snack, such as just peanuts or just pretzels.

Eat soup before meals

Soup gives the warm, filling effect similar to comfort food without the added calories, which can drastically cut the amount you eat in your next course. Stick to vegetable-based soups with, beans and a high fiber content that will make you feel fuller longer.

Don’t eat a lot of low-fat foods
The “low-fat” labels fool us to eat more, according to another study conducted by Wansink. His results found that the “low-fat” label decreases our perception of calorie concentration, which increases our consumption by more than 25 percent on average, without perceptual guilt, ironically. Further studies show that “low-fat” dense diets result in lack of leptin, a hormone released by fat cells, which can result in a more ravenous appetite.

Bulk up on fiber

Most fruits, vegetables, grains and beans are loaded with fiber, which makes you feel fuller. Even though fruits and vegetables have little calorie substance, they are full of water and require more chewing time, which give the illusion of eating more. When you include vegetables in your meal, eat them first and wait about 20 minutes before eating meats and pastas.

Be aware of your surroundings

We are wired to react to the smells and sights of food, so don’t hang around the kitchen because it can have the effects of sparking cravings and mindless snacking. For late-night indulgers, self-control may be more difficult. Try to set a “food curfew” that allows you to eat until a certain hour, and chances are your mind will wean off the habit. Also, be careful what friends you choose to eat with. Studies show that humans are social eaters, and often eat more or less according to the friends they are with. Try to go out with friends who are light eaters; it may help you eat less when at a restaurant.

Being mindful about what you put in our mouth is key to controlling your cravings. While sitting down, relaxing and munching on a box of cookies may fill a much-desired craving for the time being, however, your waistline may disagree when it’s met with the first rays of Spring Break sunlight.

Take control of your food cravings