AZTEC UPDATE

Aztecs reeling from injuries
As if losing to Cal Poly for the second time in three years wasn’t bad enough, the San Diego State football team also lost several key players because of injuries in Saturday night’s game. Former tight end and starting defensive end Tony DeMartinis will likely miss all of the 2008 season with a torn ACL and MCL. He suffered the injury just a few minutes after recording a sack on the first play of the night.

Players also sustaining injuries that may keep them out of Saturday afternoon’s matchup against Notre Dame were junior linebacker Luke Laolagi (quadriceps contusion), freshman defensive tackle Jerome Long (ankle sprain), sophomore defensive end Eric Ikonne (ankle sprain), senior safety Corey Boudreaux (concussion) and junior defensive tackle Ryan Williams (concussion). Head coach Chuck Long said he expects Boudreaux and Williams to return to practice sometime this week.

Former SDSU quarterback lights up the national stage
After struggling mightily in the first half, former SDSU quarterback Kevin Craft led UCLA to a huge upset over No. 18 Tennessee on Monday night. Craft, who was thrust into the starting role after quarterbacks Ben Olson (foot) and Patrick Cowan (knee) went down with injuries, had a horrendous first half, throwing for just 66 yards and four interceptions. The junior, however, would rebound, completing 18-of-25 passes for 193 yards and a touchdown in the second half, leading the Bruins to a 27-24 come-from-behind overtime victory.

O’Connell and Schilens find new homes
Former Aztec quarterback Kevin O’Connell and wide receiver Chaz Schilens found themselves on the New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders respective final rosters after a league-mandated cut down to 53 players on Saturday. O’Connell, who was selected in the third round, finished the preseason completing 15-of-32 passes for 140 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. He also ended the preseason third on the team in rushing, carrying the ball seven times for 46 yards, as the Patriots finished 0-4.

Schilens, drafted by the Raiders in the seventh round, found a little more success than his former quarterback, grabbing six passes for a team high 94 yards in the preseason. Oakland finished with a record of 1-3.

Hamilton, Dombrowski and Swain miss the cut
New Orleans Saints running back Lynell Hamilton, San Diego Chargers offensive lineman Brandyn Dombrowski and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Brett Swain were all cut from their respective teams on Saturday. Hamilton, who finished second on the team with 24 carries for 76 yards, seemed to be the odd man out of a crowded Saints backfield that featured backs the likes of Reggie Bush, Deuce McAllister and Aaron Stecker.

While Swain finished the preseason with a touchdown and five grabs for 28 yards, he joined Dombrowski as players who couldn’t show enough to force their way onto a final NFL roster.

-Compiled by Sports Editor Edward Lewis

AZTEC UPDATE