Volleyball: Walk-on making a name for herself

When she made the San Diego State volleyball team as a walk-on in 2008, Casey Klein was ecstatic. She really wanted to be a part of the program and play the sport she loved.

Now, more than two years later, the sophomore defensive specialist has the same mentality even though she hasn’t been the most active player on SDSU’s roster.

“It’s been well worth it,” Klein said of her time as an Aztec. “Playing time is something that everyone wants, but you have to do what you have to do for the team. If it’s not on the court, then it’s bringing energy or helping someone else out (off the court).”

Klein first started playing volleyball in fourth grade, but athletics were in her family’s genes well before that. Her father, Gary, played baseball and competed in the minor leagues. Then, during Klein’s childhood, he began a career as a sportswriter and is now covering USC football for the Los Angeles Times. So not surprisingly, Klein and her brothers were playing sports practically when they were in diapers.

When it came time for Klein to decide on a college, she had a number of options close to home in Pasadena or something a little farther away. After some thought, she decided she would move to San Diego.

“There’s really nice weather and it was close to the beach,” Klein said of SDSU. “And it was close enough so that I could go home if I really wanted to.”

Klein had already talked to then-head coach Mark Warner and his staff during high school and conditioned in the summer for training camp. So when double days came around, she was prepared and made the team. She didn’t know she would be redshirting for her first season, but it helped her experience both school and volleyball.

In her first season as an Aztec, Klein had her best performance against Wyoming with a season-high five digs and a service ace in SDSU’s 3-2 win.

While her playing time hasn’t increased much this year, she still looks forward to getting on the court. This won’t change this weekend, as the Aztecs play a non-conference game against Seattle at 7 p.m. on Friday in Peterson Gym.

“When I do get playing time, to me that’s just the greatest feeling ever,” Klein said. “I just savor every second that I get … the things that you learn from being on a team sport will help me the rest of my life.”