Authentic isn’t speedy

Alex Myrwold / Staff Photographer

It’s a tough choice between a chain restaurant such as Panda Express for pre-packaged California Rolls or a unique and hidden fresh sushi joint run by a Japanese family.

Most people should know that the average American consumes fast-food almost every day. This might be because the food is good, but more likely because it is quicker and easier than a sit-down restaurant. But sooner or later, that drive-through can get monotonous. Eating a paper-wrapped taco or food out of a Styrofoam box containing your favorite choice of grease is not good for your health.

It’s a good idea to try places that are different and authentic once in a while in order to steer away from the fast-food. When you have an authentic dish, the experience will have a totally different effect. The word “authentic” indicates that the meal is prepared with the same ingredients and style from its country of origin. Below are a few truly authentic restaurants to replace the typical Rubio’s or McDonald’s.

Casa Guadalajara (Old Town)
4105 Taylor St.

Mexican food is a fiesta at this restaurant. When you step inside, the cultural decorations will amaze you, especially now that it’s the holiday season.

The menu is delightful and easy to read. It has a great selection of dishes to choose from with beef, chicken, seafood and pork costing between $10 to $17, which is reasonable considering the large portion sizes.

Also, the menu’s healthy options that are low in calories make it easier for the health-conscious. For refreshments, it serves soft drinks, tequila and margaritas.

No one will be bored when dining at this restaurant. With the easy parking and the entertainment of the mariachi band performing around the tables, any person will be guaranteed a fun experience with family and friends.

Ebisu (Hillcrest)
3765 Sixth Ave.

This Japanese-style restaurant will help set a nice mood for the night. This is because it’s only open from 5 p.m. to midnight. The place is soothing, simple and not too small.

Sushi is never cheap, but here, sushi rolls are priced from $8 to $13. It serves a delicious variety of seafood to satisfy hunger. The chefs create mouthwatering sushi rolls such as the H-bomb roll, made with shrimp and spicy tuna, but if spicy is not for you, then the Sunny Roll, made with salmon and crab with lemon, will do you good. This restaurant’s specials are also definitely worth a try.

Golden City (Kearny Mesa)
5375 Kearny Villa Rd.

A good, authentic Chinese restaurant is hard to find in San Diego. So, once you find the treasure of Golden City, it will be hard to go anywhere else. The menu’s large variety offers so much that it can become time-consuming to choose a dish.

During lunch and dinner the price is right, but the dishes are quite small, so most people order two dishes as opposed to one in order to fill up. The restaurant is nice and quiet, and the atmosphere is great with big windows and large, round tables. Service at Golden City is surprisingly good. You’ll definitely want to go back with family or friends.

If you’re always out at night looking for a restaurant, this place is open late. But if you’re lazy and are dying for some Chinese food, the restaurant also delivers. So, if you have a hankering for Chinese cuisine during lunch or after 9 p.m., try paying Golden City a visit.

Authentic isn’t speedy