Women?s Soccer: SDSU ties another one

Stephen Finlayson, Staff Photographer

Sunday afternoon’s game was a frustrating one for the San Diego State women’s soccer team (1-3-2).

Despite dominating the game statistically, SDSU could not get a win against Utah State (2-1-2), and after two overtime periods, the Aztecs tied their second straight home game.

“We’re not playing with any heart,” head coach Mike Friesen said bluntly. “It’s the little details; there’s not enough fight in them right now.”

The first half was mostly spent on the Aggies’ side of the field. SDSU had an opportunity to score in the 24th minute when senior midfielder Michaela DeJesus collected the ball just outside the penalty box. From there, she took a dribble, then blasted it, but the ball went high.

The Aztecs had several opportunities in the closing minutes of the first half, recording several shots, but failed to score a goal. The game entered halftime scoreless.

Just three minutes into the second half SDSU was on the offensive once again. After forcing a corner, freshman midfielder Carli Johnson crossed the ball to the far post. Sophomore forward Sarah Halverson was able to kick the ball back across the goal where junior midfielder Kim Carcich one-touched it into the back of the net for her first career goal.

“Kim (Carcich) just slid and poked it in,” Friesen said. “That’s something we’ve been working on for awhile.”

Utah State was able to respond 13 minutes later with a counterattack. Aggies’ midfielder Stefani Shiozaki played a ball forward to senior Lauren Hansen. She ran toward the goal where she met senior goalkeeper Aubree Southwick. Hansen shot low from seven yards out and the ball trickled past Southwick, tying the game at 1-1.

The Aztecs continued to control the game as regulation came to a close, outshooting their opponents 13-6.

After a scoreless first overtime, SDSU opened the second overtime strong. The Aztecs sent two crosses from the left wing within the first minute of the period. The first cross went just high and the second was corralled by the Utah State keeper. SDSU had a chance to win the game with seven minutes left, but a diving save kept freshman midfielder Zoe Carroll’s shot from scoring. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.

The Aztecs tied Detroit Mercy on Friday, and after a difficult road trip to start the season, the recent lack of intensity has Friesen disappointed.

“We played the No. 7 and 8 teams in the country and had no problem getting up for it,” Friesen said. “Now we just expect to win against weaker opponents because we’re San Diego State. We need more leadership.”

Last year, SDSU got hot in early September, winning or tying 15 straight games on its way to an NCAA tournament berth. The Aztecs will try to turn their season around again when they play host to San Jose State and No. 1 North Carolina next weekend.

Women?s Soccer: SDSU ties another one