SDSU seniors sent off on sour note

sam sparhawk, staff photographer
sam sparhawk, staff photographer

Senior Day was a gloomy one for the San Diego State men’s soccer team Saturday. Not only was the weather extremely rainy, but the program also said goodbye to five seniors.

SDSU honored its five seniors – Gemechu Abraham, Pedro Adan, Byron Boyken, Justin Davies and Daniel Steres – in a special ceremony prior to the match.

Unfortunately what was supposed to be a joyous send-off turned sour as the Aztecs were defeated, 2-0, by No. 6 UCLA at the SDSU Sports Deck.

Victor Chavez and Chandler Hoffman each scored for the Bruins, who improved their record to 15-4-1 and 10-0 in conference play to become the first UCLA team to go perfect in conference since 2003.

With the loss, SDSU fell to 10-6-3 overall and 4-5-1 in Pac-12 Conference play, but still ended up finishing third in league play, its best since 2008.

“It’s sad, but I don’t really have any regrets,” Steres said. “I left everything on the field and everything with my team.”

“We just all wanted to come into this final game and beat this ranked team, and just end with a big win against a quality team,” Davies said. “We just wanted to show we are a quality team. We wanted to go out with a bang and feel good about ourselves.”

Despite coming up short in the match, the Aztecs outshot the Bruins, 12-8, including 5-4 in shots on goal. SDSU also held the advantage in corner kicks, 5-4.

Davies led the Aztecs with three shot attempts, while Miles Byass and Casey Meuser added two attempts each.

Boyken earned his first career start in the net for the Aztecs and faced two shots, but did not need to make a save. He was eventually replaced by sophomore Blake Hylen, who came in the 22nd minute and finished the game. Hylen finished the game with two saves.

All five Aztec seniors were named Men of the Match.

“Mostly the players,” Davies said of what he would remember most about this program. “We had great team camaraderie. You never really realize how fast it goes. The whole personnel, the coaches, the teammates, everything has been really great.”

SDSU seniors sent off on sour note